Author Topic: Aladdin problems  (Read 11768 times)

Jim Gill

Aladdin problems
« on: May 30, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »
Though I have heard of many others having trouble with their Aladdin systems, the system in my 2006 Monterey has always worked fine...until last week!!! Many of the dashboard display panels are still working correctly but the entire coach electrical panel display, the outside/inside temp indicators and the compass now all display XXXXs. Much info has been discussed about problems of this type on this forum and I have reviewed all of the discussions that I could find. Based on this info, it appears that the extremely heavy rainstorm which I drove through just prior to the onset of these malfunctions may be the root cause of my problems...apparently it is easy for water to enter one or more of the Aladdin modules which then causes these type of problems.

So, with my coach in storage 50 miles away, my questions are;
1. Where exactly are these modules located on a 2006 Monterey? The Aladdin troubleshooting guide states that most of the system components are in the cargo bay area...any ideas which side and which bay section before I start removing everything from my basement? This same guide states that the Aladdin VCM is located in the front run box...I assume that this is the compartment located immediately below the driver.

2. I've read of some owners "sealing" up the water entry site to prevent a recurrence of this type of problem. Can I assume that once I locate the modules, the water entry site will be obvious or is the water finding its way into the module area via some other circuitous route?

3. Can the modules be disassembled and dried out or are they toast once they have gotten wet?

4. Has anybody used the folks at Master Tech RV in Elkhart, Indiana to either repair failed modules or source new ones?

Thanks in advance for any help with this matter,
Jim
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:28:45 PM by 14 »

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: Aladdin problems
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 07:10:53 PM »
On my 2005 Patriot they are located in a bay on the passenger side right in front of the drive wheels. This bay is not a storage bay but rather access to the holding tanks and Aladdin modules. It has two clips on the bottom that secures it closed.Our tank interface module was ruined by water intrusion and it was not obvious. The fine folks at Beaver Coach Sales found it with a flashlight shining through the outside of the bay, It was where some plumbing passed through the back of the bay and when it rained the drive wheels were blowing the water into the compartment. I found a replacement module at Northwest Supply and after sealing up the water problem I have had no trouble since. I still have the old module and am going to see if Master Tech can do anything with it. I am not sure that this will help but good luck!
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 12:10:21 AM »
Our 2006 Monterey's modules are precisely where Larry said his was, and the main one is indeed in the electrical bay under the driver's window.  

One note regarding the bay with the 2 lockdown clips, in front of the passenger rear wheelwell:  our clips were loose when new, and I wasn't familiar with that bay, though the fellow that did our multi-day walkthrough at BCS in Bend had shown it to us.  Then when I had spare time in a campground, I happened to notice one clip hanging down, so I took a closer look and realized they were fully adjustable just by turning the clip's catch in or out on its screw.  After snugging them properly, I've had no more problems.  

Because that bay doesn't lock, I mounted an easy to reach fire extinguisher in there, and because it has no lamp either, I mounted a small Maglight flashlight in there also by velcroing its nylon slipcase to the plywood frame you'll find in mid-front of the bay.  Be careful where you mount stuff though... that frame is to isolate and protect a temperature probe and the Aladdin temp and compass module, so don't put things too close to them.

It's possible your clips have never been adjusted, and the entire bay door isn't sealing across the bottom.  You might want to check your clips just in case they're the source of your leak.  On the other hand, our electrical bay, where the main Aladdin is, has been on and off soaked all winter, while parked, from water apparently finding its way in from a faulty windshield seal high above it.  Hopefully that module missed getting flooded.

Sorry I could only help answer your first question and maybe part of your second.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Les Marzec

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:58:24 AM »
I am looking for the reset switch for the Aladdin on my 03 Patriot.  I have read many of the posts.  I have looked in the two panels beside the drivers seat and in the overhead panel where the curtain switch is and I can not locate it.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:42:42 AM »
Lester-
I'm not sure where to find the reset switch, since you've already looked in likely places.  Is there a dash access panel in front of the steering wheel you could check?

Did you read this post by Paul Schwalen:

"I have been using the Alladin for 2+ years now and have experienced the same thing.  I finally figured out that if I turn the Alladin on before the 8 seconds shutdown has completed (when you shut the engine down) that sometimes this xxxx business happens.  To solve the issue I turn the Alladin off at the push button on the display then turn it back on and it usually is OK.  (sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries)  Also, I try not to turn the Alladin on before the 8 second shutdown and wait for the shutdown and then turn it back on if needed."

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 12:21:31 PM »
On our 03 Contessa the reset is in the TV cabinet over the drivers head.  Access to it can be had from the vent grille on the foward side of the cabinet just behind the windshield.

Paul

Mark Bryant

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 03:00:46 PM »
Jim  
I have the 38 ft Monterey and the modules are where Joe said they are.

I have had a problem with the tank module, Black did not read, found one on craig's list and bought it. The module showed all quanities very high. Sent it to Master Tech in Elkart and they calibrated it for me, the techs name is Ryan. They do good work, but are very busy.

My system fully operational now.

Mark Bryant

Les Marzec

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 04:30:51 PM »
Paul

Thanks, that is exactly where mine was.  Behind the vent that faces the windshield.

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 06:09:59 AM »
I have an 06 Thunder the Aladin is working in all functions except for the trip function won't register the gallons used or mileage which is inconvient especially when you like to keep track of the fuel use any ideas???
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Gerald Burns

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 02:16:03 PM »
I have the same problem with my Aladdin in that the trip or trip milage does not work.  I also have a black senor that shows 150% of full all the time.  I was told to reset the unit and that would take care of my problems.  I have found a switch in the cabinet over the door which is does not have a label on it.  It is just below my awning switches and next to my air tv booster.  I assume this could be the aladdin switch since I cannot find any other switch anywhere else.

Gerald Burns
2007 Marquis

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 02:49:44 PM »
One would think a competent installer/technician would label things.  My Aladdin reset is labeled and is located above the pilot's seat just to the left of the windshield's curtain close/open switch.  It's a two-position toggle switch spring-loaded to hold in one position when released.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 04:23:12 PM »
I have seen the Aladin reset switch but was hesantant to push it for fear it will reset everything but I guess I could give it a try? I noticed on the fuel tank 3 wires coming off it I presume they are for the Aladin talked to Beaver and they haven't got a clue....
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 10:56:42 PM »
I'm not sure the Alladin actually measures the fuel in the fuel tank.  If I read the instructions correctly, you have to tell it how full the tank is at the start of a "trip".  It then uses engine fuel use numbers to calculate and report to the screen thereafter.

Also, engine stats are only for the last time the engine was on, and may read xxxxx if the ignition is off.  It can also take several minutes for changes in values to update on the status screen.

Paul, if you need the manual, I may be able to scan and email it to you.

I have rarely used that aspect (Tripmeter) of the Alladin, since it can be cumbersome (eg. You must remember and go through several screens to reset the tank capacity when refueling, and decide whether to reset or start trips daily, one extended trip, or from and to locations, etc.), however that side of mine does work;  it's just easier to write things down on paper to track my statistics.  The main Alladin Reset on our rig is in the door entry overhead.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 03:52:02 AM »
Hi Joel

Thanks for your memo yes I have set the gallons after a fill up and the Aladin does not move to calculate the fuel as your trip is underway if you wouldn't mind scanning me a copy that would be great my email is pmcagencies@shaw.ca

Thanks for your help I will hit the reset button this weekend to see if it reloasds the fuel , my mpg part is working just not the gas and mileage part

Thanks
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Doug Neal

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 07:29:26 AM »
Jim Gill asked if any one had dealt with Master Tech in Elkhart. We had a very bad experience with them a couple of years ago. We would never return to their shop. Duncan RV across the tracks from them will treat you well. If any one would like to contact me RE Master Tech I would be happy to tell you about them.