Author Topic: C12 Injectors  (Read 4261 times)

Mike Shumack

Re: C12 Injectors
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2020, 01:00:17 PM »
Mike you mean well but posting UTube video as a go to repair is lacking meaning to the real problem to non-trained membership
attempting very technical repairs that only a experienced mechanic would be able to preform.

Hi Dave.
I posted the link to that video only to let someone unfamiliar with these engine see what is involved in replacing injectors.  I think it is a good idea for anyone paying for work to have some idea of what the job entails so at least they can ask questions or have a more intelligent conversation with the service writer or mechanic if needed.

I do not expect (and would not recommend) that anyone try to do the job themselves just from watching the video.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: C12 Injectors
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2020, 03:35:16 PM »
Micheal
I concur with Dave any injectors I've replaced were not just over fueling but we're accompanied by a drivability problem
White smoke ,black smoke, rough idle ,misfire etc and almost all would have some sort of diagnostic code to accompany the problem .
Unfortunately most independent garages don't have access to Cat ET software and are placed at a disadvantage as the none Cat diagnostics don't have the ability to go deep enough to get real answers and as Dave has suggested the best place to test the injectors is in a running engine Via power balance or fuel rate calculations done right through the engines own ECM but most aftermarket software isn't capable of these tests and even a good mechanic can go down a rabbit hole without the right information to base repair ,replace decisions on.
 as they say bull------ in bull------ out.
Any injectors I've ever replaced were murdered and did not die on there own (( bad fuel ,water , metal ,dirt too much fuel conditioner or even air can kill injectors but seldom all at once.
My advice at this point if the injectors are out of the engine and the warranty company has agreed to rebuilt injectors is to have then go ahead with a fresh set of (( Cat brand rebuilt injectors)) and understand this may not cure your fuel in oil problem and have your self a good conversation with Dave Atherton via PM or phone if he will .
After many years at a Cat repair shop with factory tooling and factory training Dave has likely forgotten more than many of use seasoned mechanics here will ever know about the Cat product.
I think Dave is trying to tell you there are other more common problems which could cause your fuel in oil but I won't speak for Dave and as Dave is asking for more information I'd talk to him and hear what he has to say you've got nothing to loose and it might help you with your frustration and even give you a solution for you problem.

PS. Many manufacturers advise against extended idling because of a phenomena known as wet stacking were at idle the fuel don't all get burnt and leads to cylinder wash down and fuel in the oil it was a bigger problem with the older Detroit two stocks
But they all can do it if left idling for extended periods not saying this is your problem but it does show not all issues are fuel related.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.