Author Topic: Trailer Towing question  (Read 5703 times)

David Fischer

Trailer Towing question
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:44:21 PM »
My wife just passed away and we have so much stuff that I might want to transport from New Mexico to Alabama during the holidays.  I have a 1997 40 foot Beaver Marquis and just tow a Tahoe, with of course is no problem.  However I am looking at a fairly large box trailer which would be holding some pretty good weight.  Including some tables, chairs and a large amwagh type desk.  I would not be also towing my car, just the trailer.   My concern is both legal and weight problems.
I have a C12 rated at 425HP.  Can anyone give me some advise as to what I should be looking at?
David
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:25:55 PM by 5 »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Trailer Towing question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:52:25 PM »
Dave,
Sorry to hear about your wife's passing.
I'm pretty sure that your coach has a 5000 lb hitch weight spec. That would be your biggest concern. If you rent or purchase a trailer, the seller or rental outfit should be able to tell you what the empty hitch weight is. From what you said, it sounds like your load will not be overly heavy. Just be sure to have the load relatively balanced in the trailer with the heavier items over the trailer axle if possible.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »
Dave,

Betty and I are also so sorry to hear of Sharon's passing. We know this has to be devastating.

As for the trailer, Steve is right ... our hitch is rated at only 5K.  Years ago, I had a welder in Bend crawl under the coach and weld up the hitch to the frame.  At the time, he indicated that with the gussets he welded in, the hitch could easily surpass 10K lbs.  With the C12, power was not a concern but breaking capability was ... but that had never appeared to be an issue over the 10 to 15k miles we towed a 10K pound ... 20 ft ... utility trailer (with our Mini Cooper and other stuff inside).  We rolled it over scales in Oregon one time and it weighed out at about 7800 lbs.  With the 10 to 15K miles we towed, we never had any hitch issues, so I think I would have a welder take a look at strengthening the hitch and you should be fine.

Again, we are so sorry to hear of Sharon's passing.

Glenn and Betty Perkins

William Brosam

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »
I had a hitch builder upgrade me from the small hitch that was on my 2000 patriot, to a 4" tube and 1/4" thick wall on the tube used the old hitch uprights and made some new atttachments for heavy duty chains.
this cost me 180$ i removed the hitch myself and reinstalled with new bolts the new bolts cost me almost 100$

and im pulling my 26ft box stacker trailer with tools, 3 atv's, dune buggy, and alot more heavy stuff.

if you dont plan to upgrade the hitch pay attention to the hitch weight. or look into a Trailer Toad to handle the hitch weight.