Author Topic: Tag axle not lifting  (Read 7535 times)

Scott Bercholz

Tag axle not lifting
« on: December 08, 2019, 11:47:14 PM »
Hi all if anyone knows of a technical manual I can use for diag why my tag axle will not raise up. That would be great , or if there are checks I can do on the system , I don’t see anywhere how the system works ie separate control unit for the actuation of the tag ?  On my 2000 marquis 42 amethyst

Mike Shumack

Re: Tag axle not lifting
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 12:47:29 AM »
I assume you have the Tax Axle switch on the dash. Does the "light" on the switch come on when you press the switch? Do you hear the Tag up alarm "gong" sound when the switch is on?

Scott Bercholz

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 12:57:55 AM »
Hi mike thx the switch doesn’t have lights / never made audi warnings. I am trying to find actual technical information to get into the problem further , I’m surprised a search doesn’t show anything on these systems

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 02:16:53 PM »
Scott,
When you flip the switch, do you hear air pressure exhaust at the rear suspension? If so, your tag is probably working as designed. That era of SMC built coaches did not lift the tag much, they just unloaded the tag. If you drive around an RV park with the tag lifted on uneven ground you will see air under the tires. They did not use tag up alarms, but you should have a yellow light on your dash that says 'Tag" when the tag is lifted.

Gerald 

Scott Bercholz

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 03:52:27 PM »
Hi Gerald  nice to hear from you. Thx, my problem is the tag is not lifting up anymore, to the point that it blew out 1 of the air bags because the coach lowered 1 time and that right side did not handle the weight as it was still forcing the axle down at a stopped location. It used to,operate correctly as in  raise at apx 17 mph, with-deceleration, and apply on re acceleration at apx the 20 mph range . So I assume it needs to read transmission output for the speed measurement  if so is there available any schematics showing where I can test for speed inputs / voltage at relays and air solenoid  valves. Ect... ?   

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 02:33:13 AM »
Scott,
I do not know you would be able to find any schematics for your tag axle system. However, if you found someone who use to work on the SMC area coach chassis (like some of the shops in Bend), they may know the answer, or at least be able to give you a few pointers. If it operates automatically with vehicle speed, it would require a logic module to supply and vent pressurized air to the suspension. I would just have to start from scratch and trouble shoot the entire system.

The tag axle suspension runs such low air pressure that I doubt that your air bag blew out because the axle was not lifted. I commonly park my coach without lifting the tag. The tag axle on my coach raises and lowers only with the switch on the driver's arm rest. It has no connection to vehicle speed.

Gerald