Author Topic: CAREFREE AWNING MOTOR  (Read 23979 times)

LEAH DRAPER

Re: CAREFREE AWNING MOTOR
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 04:20:05 PM »

(they wouldn't supply just the cup unit, saying I needed to buy the cup and sensor assembly together, but that it was out of stock and wouldn't be available ever again. )

Am I reading what I think I am above....one has to buy the cup and sensor together, BUT IT WAS OUT OF STOCK AND WOULDN'T BE AVAILABLE EVER AGAIN.  Why would they tell you  to buy/order it if it was out of stock and NOT available??  as Carefree lost their senses?

May be I am not understanding this!  If I do, they need to be "bad mouthed".

Ken Buck

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 05:12:49 PM »
Quote from: LEAH DRAPER
(they wouldn't supply just the cup unit, saying I needed to buy the cup and sensor assembly together, but that it was out of stock and wouldn't be available ever again. )

Am I reading what I think I am above....one has to buy the cup and sensor together, BUT IT WAS OUT OF STOCK AND WOULDN'T BE AVAILABLE EVER AGAIN.  Why would they tell you  to buy/order it if it was out of stock and NOT available??  as Carefree lost their senses?

May be I am not understanding this!  If I do, they need to be "bad mouthed".

They said that I couldn't buy parts from them when I called them direct, I had to go thru a "dealer". So I called People Motorhomes, they referred me to the dealer in Fife. That dealer called Careless for the cup assembly, they told them that the cups alone weren't available, that the entire sensor was the only way to get new cups. They also said that the vendor that had supplied that unit "wasn't making them anymore" and that they had none in stock and would not be getting them back in stock. A 4 year old unit is obsolete in their eyes and they have no obligation to provide support. The only way to get a new Careless unit was to find one in stock at a dealer.

I found a similar cup assembly with only the shaft hole too small. A drill bit solved that problem and it works like a charm.

IMHO Carefree Awnings does not provide adequate customer service.

Ken

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »
Careless.  I like that, Ken.  It's appropriate. ;)
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeff Watt

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 12:08:05 AM »
My over the door Carefree  ( :-/) awning won't operate. So while the coach is in getting a new satellite dish installed, I asked them to check the awning. Power all the way to the motor but motor doesn't work - likely need a new motor  which seems reasonable.

Now for the fun - as posted here earlier, I or even my service centre can't order from Carefree directly, so my dealer checked with an intermediary and the price for a motor and cap is about $400. Apparently the cap is sent as the only way to get at the motor is to pry off the old cap which often breaks - mine isn't totally broken, but may not be salvageable. AND the cap comes in black or white - neither are much of a match for the paint on my coach.

I read that the motor is the same as on a Cadillac. I guess I'll get the motor # and do some GOOGLING. Seems asinine to pay $400 for a little electric motor.  I have come to expect that we often pay extra for parts in the RV world, but this is just ridiculous. Not pleased with this BS from Carefree.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 01:56:04 AM »
Ok, my personal experience. The over the door awning quit working on my coach with it out. Finally determined the sprocket was very poorly made that worked the awning. Was just tack welded in place and obviously not very tacked at that. Carefree had an updated motor and DID sell it directly to me. I think I paid around 350.00 for it and they shipped it to my home. Yes, I did have to destroy the cover to get it off and they did also send another cover in white. I got it installed and it has worked great since. I had a painter match my paint and paint the cover for me. Seems as cheaply as the old one was made it should have been repaired as a recall since they knew there was a problem and provided me an upgraded motor at my cost. Anyway I am glad it's done. But I am not sure why they shipped it to me but not to you.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Jeff Watt

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 03:44:05 AM »
Thanks Larry,

I haven't actually contacted Carefree, but the RV place I deal with, said they have nothing but problems getting things from Carefree, and have resorted to an intermediary firm - don't know if it is because we're in Canada or ???

Anyhow, as it was late today before checking with me, they are going to check again on Monday, and see if it can be nailed down as to price and what is included with replacing.

If it is that part and $, I guess so be it. To be fair I don't remember when I was looking at the coach whether that awning was operated - could have been dead for awhile. So in some ways, it is my fault as if it wasn't working when I bought the coach, I should have negotiated with the previous owner; my memory is failing, hopefully not as final as the awning motor :)

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:12:32 AM by 14 »

Jeff Watt

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »
As an update, the RV service ordered the replacement motor and cover (original was snapped to get off and Carefree sells the motor and cover as a package) on October 31; not here yet. And only for about $500 with expedited post. As I am not going anywhere in the near future I should have got it sent regular post - just trying to get it before winter sets in.  

However I have the PT stored in its shed and as the weather is getting colder with snow off and on, I was hoping to not have to take it back to have the techs install the motor. My shed is heated and they would be working on it inside so I guess it can be done as long as it hasn't snowed the morning I have to take it over.

Larry, did you install it or have it installed?

Jeff

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 03:29:08 AM »
Hi Jeff, I installed it with help from a friend. It came with instructions in the box so hopefully so will yours. It makes it much easier with a helper. Just be careful, the awning is spring loaded. Also it's a good idea to check it after you hook the wires up to make sure the open is open and close is close on the switch. If not you will have to switch your wires. It took us about 2 hours to get it done. Then I had a paint shop paint the cover to match the coach. Actually it might be a good idea to have that done before you install the cover. I was just worried about scuffing it up. Good luck Jeff!
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Jim Shaw

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 12:00:30 PM »
I have found that Carefree to be a company that does not care at all. I needed a awning arm to replace one that was bent. I called carefree and was told that they were not making them anymore and they did not have any. The person I talked to sounded like she could care less. I finally found a used one in Florida and had to pay twice the price of a new one. If they do not upgrade their customer service I feel they will be going out of business soon.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 01:37:20 AM »
Makes my 12 year old 20 foot all original  Girard awning look good!!!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 11:14:43 PM »
I wonder how Carefree would react if a bunch of us disgruntled owners staged an "Occupy Carefree" rally at their headquarters next year.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

barbhalsell

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »
Oh geez, how funny Joel!

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 08:00:31 PM »
You might get pepper sprayed as it seems to be popular with security guards.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 05:16:06 AM »
Yup, and many of us know just how onery CareLess can be.  But you mean you wouldn't take a little pepper in the face for the cause?

Joel ??)
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat