Author Topic: CAREFREE AWNING MOTOR  (Read 23976 times)

Tom and Pat Fudale

CAREFREE AWNING MOTOR
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:56:52 PM »
 Does anyone know of a source for a motor  for a eclipse carefree patio awning except the junk from carefree? I have replaced this motor twice and now have to replace it again.  This is the same motor on the over the door awning that I also had to replace. Also seems to be the same motor on the step that went bad.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:07:11 AM by 14 »

Forrest King

Re: CAREFREE AWNING MOTOR
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:35:33 PM »
Goggle the part number from your old one. had the same problem an did that an picked up one off the net. It is the same motor that they use on cadilac an buick window regulators. seems I payed about 36.00 t0 38.00 dollars for it. I also have a 2006 Montery with same awning.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:48:41 PM »
If this for your awning, it could be a simple adjustment.  I replaced twobefore talking to others with similiar failures.  If it's dead...it's dead.  However, if it works when you stop a few inches from being fully extended just try adjusting your the arms on your awning.  I found that too much resistance was the problem when the arms where at the end of their range.  I don't remeber if it was the end with the most or least angle.

Best of luck,

Gil
08 Contessa

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:00:10 AM »
Found rust on the armature magnets when I disassembled ours. Cleaned ( sanded) with emery cloth ridding it of rust. Oiled the end shafts and reassembled and checked with battery leads to confirm it worked. Then I caulked (sealed) all holes such as  brush spring holes and end cap. Assembled all and remounted to coach. Did ours 2 years ago. When we extend the awning we always  give it one click back in just so there's no tension on the gears. I would rather have the tension on the awning in the closed position rather than the open position because we can travel with it closed.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 02:08:29 AM »
Googled the part #, and found that it is a Cadillac power window, and ordered one,  Cost $37.50. Will dissamble old one, and see if it can be cleaned for a spare.  The motor went when the awning was out.  I had to remove the motor, roll up the awning with the help of a kind RVer, and tie it up to the roof, to get home. SUCKS
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:40:51 PM by 14 »

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 08:20:24 PM »
Help-- I replaced the motor and now motor runs, all gears turn, shaft into roller tube turns but awning will not roll up or down. Is there something like a spring that is inside the roller tube that broke?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:05:56 AM by 14 »

Jack Whitmill

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 09:19:27 PM »
Hi Tom, had the same problem.  The gears from the motor to the awning break down.  Carefree will not sell to you, has to go through a dealer.  We broke it in Oregon and went through Beaver Coach Sales.  We had upgraded the awning so it was covered by warranty.  Tip on keeping awning up:  we drilled two holes through the awning cover a foot or so in from each end.  When the awning is rolled up (no easy task) a couple of tie wraps went around the awning and through the holes in the cover.  Kept it nice and tight and safe.  I will look to see if I still have a copy of the Carefree parts breakdown.  If I do, do you want me to send you a copy via email?
Jack

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 09:25:25 PM »
I haven't had occasion to tear apart an awning motor or drive, Tom, but your symptoms sound like a possible broken shear pin between the shaft and tube.  If so, you should be able to buy a replacement shear pin of the right size by removing the old one and taking it to a local hardware store.

But if that's the problem, I'd try to find out what caused the tube to bind and shear the pin;  it may be related to why you keep burning up motors.

-? :-/ Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 02:11:43 AM »
Hi Jack, would love to have the parts list. Thank You  tompatfud@gmail.com

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »
I will never buy another Carefree product Because of there inferior products and there unwillingness to help. The problem with my awning turned out to be the end cap of the roller tube. The shaft from the gear box has a flap spot that meshes with a flat spot in the end cap. the flat spot in the end cap has rounded out and the gear shaft spins in the end cap and does'nt turn the roller tube. I called Carefree and they informed me that I cannot buy just the end cap, but must purchase a complete motor and gear assembly foe $300.00. All I need is a end cap that is probably worth $20.00.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 03:35:49 PM »
What about checking RV stores for salvage for a cap....could BCS in Bend help you?

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:03:35 PM »
Any big RV repair shop will have one or will.  These motors are replaced at a frequency that should make available some spares.  BTW, your unit must be different than what was being shipped in late 2007.  On mine, the end cap has both a mating slot and the end cap is screwed to the roller tube.  If you're referring to the shaft going into the end cap from the gear assembly, that should be something easily fized by a machine shop.

Gil
-----
2008 Contessa

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
I have to agree with Tom.  Our experience with Carefree has been less than satisfying, in stark contrast to prior experiences with A&E.  One mobile tech respectfully refused to repair our warranteed Carefree slidetopper mechanism, because of his prior dealings with the company.  It's hard to believe a company that's established such a poor reputation would still be in business, much less contracting bulk sales to coach manufacturers.

Girard owners should count their blessings.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Ken Buck

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 12:52:09 AM »
I agree with the above complaints about Carefree. I promised them that I'd badmouth them every chance I could.

I did find a work around for my wind anemometer that automatically pulls in my awning when the wind blows. One cup broke off and they wouldn't supply just the cup unit, saying I needed to buy the cup and sensor assembly together, but that it was out of stock and wouldn't be available ever again. This for my 2007 coach. 4 years is too old to expect replacement parts?

I do have a part number for a wind cup assy. that works with a minor hole enlargement.

Ken

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 01:03:14 AM »
I fixed it with no help from Carefree. I took the end cap that had the rounded out flatspot and with a narrow file I filed a groove through the hole about a 1/8 inch deep. I then found a shaft key that fit in the groove and ground it down, placed the key in the slot and epoxyed it to keep it from moving while I filed it down to fit over the flat spot in the shaft. It took a lot of fileing, grinding with my dremel to duplicate the original flat spot in the cap. Finnaly got it to fit and the awning works fine. I hope it lasts. Also will still keep searching for a spare. I also drilled a hole through the  alunimun cover near each end close to the body so that I can just drop a wire through the hole and wrap it around to secure the awning in an emergency instead of tying the arms up to the roof when it would ever happen again.