Author Topic: Windshield Visors won't stay down  (Read 2654 times)

Michelle Jensen

• BAC Member
Windshield Visors won't stay down
« on: March 10, 2021, 11:53:27 PM »
We have a 1998 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga that has pull down windshield visors with black metal crisscross bars and a turn knob at the bottom.  I assume that I am supposed to be able to twist the knob to lock the visor in place but that isn't happening.  The driver's side will stay down for a bit and then will go back up, not clear to the top but too high to really help with the sun.  The passenger side goes all the way up almost immediately when pulled down.   Does anyone know how to fix this or do I need to get new visors?

-Michelle
Chris and Michelle Jensen
Full Time RVing since Dec 2020

1998 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga 37'
CAT 3126 330 Turbo
2003 Suzuki XL Tow Car

OSU Grad Class of '91 -GO BEAVS!!!!

Jerry Pattison

Re: Windshield Visors won't stay down
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 02:23:56 AM »
I have the same problem!!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 01:15:51 PM »
    Michelle & Jerry,
  The best I can recall is the pivot point behind the adjustment knob. It is a friction adjustment that binds the mechanism so it cannot retract. You may need to remove the knob and add a flat washer or star washer because of wear. Caution when you remove the knob as the shade will want to retract. Perhaps an extra hand or vise-grips to hold it in place. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 09:06:12 PM »
Michelle
Some of the units had friction control knobs up at the ends of the roller at the top of the shade behind the valance.
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 09:51:12 PM »
My scissors blind tends to let it slide up also, especially on roads that aren’t particularly smooth.  I really have to crank on the knob to get it to stay put, and it was that way when the coach was brand new.  Fiddling with it while trying to drive is no picnic, so I often just rely on my Cocoon wrap-around sunglasses to cut that side glare.  Fred’s suggestion is a good idea, and I haven’t checked the top as Eric mentions, as it’s harder to get at. 

But I was thinking of trying a rubber washer on one side or the other of the curve-slotted plate where the knob bolts through, like Fred mentioned except with rubber.  Or maybe an O-ring.  On some friction-dependent devices I’ve done that, because the rubber tends to grab metal better, especially when compressed.  The O-ring or washer should have a hole close to the bolt size or it can be too floppy to work right, and a washer with a wider outside diameter proffers more surface to grab and hold.

As noted though, I haven’t tried it yet myself, so consider it a theory based on other experience.  Too much washer, or a washer on both sides of the plate, may result in the opposite problem... the shade not moving easily up or down.  Just the right balance of rubber size would need ferreting out.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Michelle Jensen

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 10:49:25 PM »
Thanks everyone!   I'm going to replace the washers and hopefully that will work.  I'll let you know how it goes.

CAT 3126 330 Turbo
2003 Suzuki XL Tow Car

Michelle Jensen

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 12:35:26 AM »
I replaced the lock washers on both front shades and it definitely helped.  But then I also decided to replaced the spacers since they looked a bit worn.  Now they stay down just like they should Thanks everyone for your suggestions  :)

CAT 3126 330 Turbo
2003 Suzuki XL Tow Car

The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley