Author Topic: Entrance step replacement  (Read 1654 times)

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
Entrance step replacement
« on: May 02, 2021, 05:08:09 AM »
A recent minor bump on the front of my 2005 Monterey rendered the electric step to be non responsive. Insurance replaced the step with a new Kwikee. Apparently the original step type is no longer available. The new step required changes to the magnetic switch. The steps now works as expected however the rise from this step is nearly 11 inches whereas the two steps in the motorhome are approximately 9 inches each. The two inch difference causes stumbling entering and leaving the coach.
Since the original step is structurally sound can anyone comment as to the possibility of exchanging the new innards with those in the original step and reinstalling the old step thereby maintaining the original step rise.
It may be simply a case of replacing the electric motor or controller. Thank you for all comments and suggestions.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Entrance step replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 12:51:04 PM »
Bob
First we'll need to know the model # for both new and old step to check compatibility .
Are you sure you can't buy parts for the old step ?
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Entrance step replacement
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 02:33:21 PM »
    Bob,
 If you have a chance, read the info on steps that we have. Under technical, click "common problems" then scroll down to "entry steps". The most common problem is the motor. It always stops in the same location internally. Many repair shops will just replace the motor or even worst sell you a replacement step. Quikkee used to sell the motor & transmission along with the control box but I think since Lippert bought them out I do not know if they offer that anymore.
   Seeing that the step has been replaced, you may compare the operating systems of the new with the original step configuration along with the shape and length of the actuating "arm". If similar, reinstall the original and swap the operating system. Caution: The older system used "white magnetic switched" (normally open) and the replacement uses "black magnetic switched" (normally closed). Check the step operation when you are done. If transposed, the step will extend instead of retract when the door is closed. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone