Author Topic: Slide Leak  (Read 6311 times)

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Slide Leak
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:55:42 AM »
We are having a problem on our dinette slide which is on the drivers side. My wife noticed rain water on the counter top below the slide window. At first I thought it was from the window but then upon further investigation she found water in the cabinets above the window. So it looks like the top of the slide is leaking when the water gets on top of it. I was wondering if I removed the topper awning and seal the edges of the slide with a sealant is there a chance this will solve my problem or is it more involved than this with this kind of leak? Thanks again for any advice. You are all the best! :)
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Tim Westman

Re: Slide Leak
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:19:54 PM »
Larry, I had a similar problem with my '05 Monterey.  What I found was there is a "seam" on top of the slide that was leaking.  Original construction was a half hearted attempt at sealing this seam.  It will be necessary to remove the topper awning to adequately access this area.  It took three tries before mine was finally resolved - once by a dealer and twice by Monaco.

Good luck,

Tim

Jim Shaw

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 11:48:21 PM »
Larry, I had the same problem on my Monterey, and finally found the leaking seam, when I replaced the slide topper.  Easy fix with some silicone, no leak for two years.
Jim
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:28:40 AM by 14 »

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »
Good to know, thanks for the response. I had a feeling a seam was the problem but thought I would confirm that by asking my friends here on the forum. Have a great day and thanks again! :)
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »
The inner seam is a little hard to get to because it is behind a rubber wipe seal.  It is hard to describe, but you can hold it out of the way as you work along the seam.  Another approach is from the inside.  I watched a Beaver tech put a piece of standard plastic tubing on the calk tube as an extension.  He fed the tube over the top of the slide molding and sealed it by feel.  

Besides the inner and outer seems, mine has some screw or rivet holes with small dabs of calk.  Since the top of the slide is flat, there are always places the water pools.  If one of those small holes is not water tight and water is pooling there, the slide leaks.  Make sure the rivet/screw holes are well sealed.  

Another approach beside removing the topper is to go at it from the ends.  I've not tried it but I watched a tech unreel some of the extra topper and hold it with clamps so it would not reel back up.  Then he slid under the loose fabric on his stomach!  It worked for him!

My approach was to extend the slide and clamp wood blocks to the fabric to prevent roll up.  Then I removed the brackets on the side of the slide that are held with three screws each.  Next I folded the whole assembly up on the roof.  Depending on the slide it can help to use rope to hold it there while you work.  The ropes can attach to anything from the ladder to the tank vents.  It would be easier with two people, but I substituted the rope for the helper!

Good luck.  Don't fall off the ladder and be sure the topper spring does not retract with your fingers in the way!

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 08:44:57 PM »
Thanks Bill! I appreciate all the feedback. I just had all the seals replaced on all the slides in April. It was disappointing to find water coming in the top of the slide. Hopefully we have it fixed. Sealed all the seams we could see with the topper removed. I am ready to just enjoy our Beaver with no leaks!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »
Well hopefully they fixed this problem. Karen's RV drilled out the rivets, cleaned out any old sealant in the seams, re-sealed, re-riveted, and put another tape sealant on the seams. I would think all that would do the job. Thanks again my friends for all the feedback. We are looking forward to heading south next month!!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

JOHN MAJOR

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 12:40:28 AM »
The sealant can be purchased at any Fastenal store.  What is the correct seal for the bedroom slide ( top ) :)
driver side marquis '03?
Thanks

John Major
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:50:55 PM by 14 »