Author Topic: Low Beam not working after installing LED headlights  (Read 1642 times)

Dale Christensen

Low Beam not working after installing LED headlights
« on: October 28, 2021, 05:54:45 PM »
I installed LED headlights on my 2005 Monterey. (Better than holding a flashlight to see the night road.) The low beams would not work; then the supplier sent me resister packs to correct. It did not rectify the problem. I reinstalled the halogen bulbs. No joy. I assume the LED low resistance blew low a beam breaker. I do not see any such breaker. Do you believe there is a relay problem? Any thoughts or direction will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Dale

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Low Beam not working after installing LED headlights
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 02:00:56 AM »
Dale,
The Hi and Lo beam selection is controlled by the dimmer switch. If you have Hi beams, the switch is seeing 12v. It simply switches the 12v between the Hi and Lo beam bulbs.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dale Christensen

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 07:06:25 PM »
FYI
I have used the dimming switch to select both Hi and Lo beam. Unfortunately I only get output on the Hi beam selection. Do you have any more thoughts.
Tnx
Dale

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 08:19:50 PM »
Dale
In your front run bay there are two terminal strips the #4 and #5 terminals are marked high and low beams check them for the prospective power if you have nothing at the low beam when there switched on check the connections at the steering column where they go up to the turn signal switch.
There is only one circuit breaker for the head lights so as Steve pointed out if you have high beams you should have lows as well unless you have a problem with the dimmer switch in the column.

The 2005 Monterey wiring diagrams are in coach assist and have a good diagram of the front run bay.

Question for you does your coach have day time running lights ? The reason I ask is that the day time running light are set up to feed the high beam head lights through a resistor with the ignition on. Your problem may be that because the LEDs draw so little the resistor within the daytime running light module does not drop the voltage enough to keep the high beams dim.

My advise is to do your tests with the original light bulbs .when you get the high and low beams to work properly with the original bulbs then install the LEDs and if you only have high beams regard!see of your selection then disable the DRL or day time running light module ( which should be found in the front run bay )

Hope this helps
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 12:43:18 AM »
Dale,
In addition to Eric's suggestion, I suspect you may have a bad connection near the headlights themselves as they worked before  you did the change over. Suggest you check all connections you originally disconnected. Open them up again, spray them with contact cleaner and reconnect.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

John Bagwell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 01:09:58 AM »
If your coach has had the “Beaver upgrade “ on headlights the relay on low beam side may be blown. 
John Bagwell
2001 Monterey 36ft.
CAT 3126B
Toad. 2020 Ford Ranger