Author Topic: Portable Satellite Question  (Read 22547 times)

Michael Kauffman

Portable Satellite Question
« on: August 20, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
Hi everybody, we are looking at portable satellite systems and service providers.  Do any of you have any favorites?  Thanks, Mike
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:21:03 PM by 2551 »

Roger Bowton

Re: Portable Satellite Question
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 07:42:29 PM »
WE have tried both Directv and Dish and have found Directv to be better by far. WE have an in motion satelite on the roof but caryy a carryout set up incase we are parked under the trees. These can be  purchased at Camping World for about 200 dollars I can also get a !00 dollar  Directv discount for you if you are interested or if you know someone with A subscription they can also refer you and get you a discount

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 01:22:49 AM »
We have a Winegard Carryout and went with Dish because the Carry out will not receive DT HD.

So far it's worked just fine.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 04:05:19 AM »
I understand Dish now has a plan that allows turning on and off the service in 30 day increments with no penalty.  DirecTV requires a one year contract for which you pay even if you are not using the service for a few months.

There several differences, so read all the fine print before you sign,

Larry

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 07:04:56 AM »
We purchased a Carry Out and for the money it works quite well. We are out on the Olympic Peninsula and signal strength is good and it has not let us down from Florida to our current location. The rain does not seem to affect it and we are able to get HD on Dish Network. We take our 722 receiver from home and are able to DVR our favorite shows with some constraints. Both receiver tuners can watch differnt channels at the same time as long as they are on the same satellite. It takes some planning given the DVR may send you to another satellite to record while you are watching another program on a different satellite.

We also need to be sure that we power down the dish and the 722 when we are traveling. We have roof mounted the Carry Out, built a cable reel in the base, and have the option of a ground stand when needed. Quite a bit of work for this adaptation.

From time to time we do have to go into the receiver menu and have the system do a menu check for satellite reception and that seems to realign the dish to the satellites when we are getting some pixillation issues. The longer we are in one spot the less of an issue that is given the system continues to peak reception over time.

If we were full timing I might opt for a Motosat or a Winegard Traveler so that there are no channel limitations for the two receivers being used at the same time but that eliminates the portable capability when trees are an issue so it is a trade off.

As far as service, I am a Red Sox fan and get the games while on the road. I would sorely miss HD reception so I would stay with Dish just for that reason. We watch HD channels almost exclusively.

Later Ed

MarcRodstein

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »
Roger, could you tell us why you found Direct to be much better than Dish?

Roger Bowton

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 02:29:51 PM »
 We think there are more desireable channels available for the price,  Signal is easier to locate  (at least for us) we had numerous problems with Dish when trying to use our in-motion sat. on the roof,  we can get locals by changing our address on the internet no matter where we are, if you are a football fan you can get NFL ticket (free this year if you sign up).  Frequent free movie channels for a period of time to entice you to upgrade subscription, we found tech support to be more helpful,  10 dollar per month reduction on your bill for 10 months if you refer someone and they also get the reduced price for 10 moinths.  We had several problems with Dish when we needed an on site rep for equipment problems . The carry-out I was referring to was the small dish that folds into the stand not the one pictured in the previous post. Our old eyes see no difference in HD.
 Everyone gets a choice and have their preferences but over the years we have been lured to Dish twice and have always switched back in a short time. It could be that we are just more comfortable with  Directv but overall we are much happier with it. I'm sure you will get other opinions and this is just my two cents worth.

Good luck

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 04:36:02 PM »
Mike,

I think your question used to have a simple answer --- back when satellite TV was invented.  

DirecTV in Standard Definition (SD) uses a single satellite for all channels including locals in about 20 major cities.  In secondary markets, where locals are provided, DirecTV uses multiple satellites.   For High Definition (HD), DirecTV always uses multiple satellites.  

As I understand it, Dish uses multiple satellites for all but the basic channels.  

So the simplest set up is SD on DirecTV because you only have to point to a single spot in the sky.  Lots of antenna makers provide everything from the most basic to the most automatic that will do this.

The primary reason for a dome antenna is to allow the parts under it to work while you are driving, or so called "in motion".  Most that make those also provide lower cost "stationery" models.  The dome creates its own problems by collecting rain, dew, bugs and dirt.  So, don't get a dome style unless you plan on using it in motion.  Manual or automatic, the open style antenna works better -- especially in the northern third of the USA and part way into Canada.

With HD on DirecTV you have to aim at several satellites -- especially if you want local channels.  That makes manual set up aiming difficult and the automatic antenna choices are fewer.  I don't think you can get domed, in-motion yet for HD.

Rodger and Deb's comment that you "can get locals by changing our address on the internet no matter where we are" is not the same as my experience.  I set my system up when you could have DirecTV in your stick house and add a receiver to your RV for an additional $5 per month.  Doing that was promoted as a good thing to do.  Advertisers, local stations and sports franchises have convinced the FCC to change their regulations so that 40 million DirecTV and Dish customers watch what they are supposed to.  It seems that too many would change their address so that they could watch games not broadcast to their "Home".  Now, I am an "outlaw" with DirecTV because I have not created a separate account for the RV.  I am now in violation of the FCC and DirecTV's terms of service -- just like the majority of RV owners I know.  What it means, is that when I phoned for an address change the last time I ended up being "advised" how I was out of compliance and they did not change my address.  I had to do without national networks on my DirecTV.  I had to use the RV park's local cable.  

DirecTV's current concept (to comply with the FCC) is to have you create a dedicated "RV" or mobile account.  That will qualify you to "apply" for "Distant Network Service" (DNS) that allows may allow you to watch ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, etc from either New York or Los Angeles stations -- but not both like it used to be.  And, it costs extra.

Perhaps Rodger and Deb have a designated "RV mobile" account and are allowed to change their address as they travel.  I have a standard account and am not allowed to change my address for travel.  

If I were to set it up again, under current FCC options and I was a full timer, I would use DirecTV in HD with a DVR and a Motosat automatic open style antenna.  I would apply for the DNS and make sure my onboard regular, old fashioned (but now digital) antenna would pick up local channels.  With the right DVR receiver, including an "Over The Air"  (OTA) tuner, I could record everything, including the local news, and watch when I want.  With the DVR, HD, DNS fees and a moderate programming package my bill would be about $80 a month.

Since I am not full timing, I would take advantage of Dish's 30 days at a time program and use cable in the condo.  In my area, Camping World might be my best choice to start with Dish.

As it is now, I enjoy being an outlaw with DirecTV HD quality in the condo and SD simplicity in the motorhome.  If they make me come into compliance I will drop the account and entertain myself over the internet.  

Do you remember when your Dad brought home the first TV and everything your watched was free?  Do you remember rabbit ears?

Michael Kauffman

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 09:29:21 PM »
[face=Arial][size=14] :) Thanks everybody, some great info here.  Now I just have to make a decision.  I like the idea of pay as you go option from Dish.  Too bad Directv doesn't have that or HD.  Camping World has the Carryout for $700 and the VIP211k receiver for $135 right now.  With tax, that puts the set up at about $900.  Do you get local channels with the 60 or 120 channel Dish package?  Or do you have to do that DNS thing?  I'm up here around Seattle and usually don't get out of WA or OR,  sometimes AZ.  Thanks again, Mike   [/size][/face]

[size=18]UPDATE: I just got an EXTRA 10% off the Carryout set-up by using code 9751 at Camping World online, yes!![/size]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:59:32 PM by 2551 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 10:31:58 PM »
You're right Mike, except for it being a Dish product instead of the preferable DirectTV, the 30 day plan sounded good to me too.  But at home in Portland we get our TV "off air", ie. broadcast from the West Hills towers.   At home, the coach is stored right behind and next to our garage and house, and within 15 feet of our TV cable junction box where all household TV cables meet and distribute signal.  

Theoretically I could just run a cable from the coach to the box and get Satellite TV in the house, by taking the coach's receiver to the family room.  And that would be my temptation as long as I had that access while at home.  But when I add up the cost of never actually calling and "turning off" the subscription following an RV trip, the price for us is too prohibitive compared to a regular home subscription with $5 RV.

We watch too much TV as it is, and with the provision of digital broadcasting in the last 2 years, there are twice as many off-air stations and programs available.  Having cable or satellite at home would really make us couch potatoes.  So though our coach came with satellite equipment installed, it's never been used and likely never will be.  "Camping" without TV shouldn't be any more boring to us than it was to our ancestors.

-Joel and Lee
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 11:52:56 PM »
Quote from: Michael Kauffman
[face=Arial][size=14] :) Thanks everybody, some great info here.  Now I just have to make a decision.  I like the idea of pay as you go option from Dish.  Too bad Directv doesn't have that or HD.  Camping World has the Carryout for $700 and the VIP211k receiver for $135 right now.  With tax, that puts the set up at about $900.  Do you get local channels with the 60 or 120 channel Dish package?  Or do you have to do that DNS thing?  I'm up here around Seattle and usually don't get out of WA or OR,  sometimes AZ.  Thanks again, Mike   [/size][/face]

[size=18]UPDATE: I just got an EXTRA 10% off the Carryout set-up by using code 9751 at Camping World online, yes!![/size]

Better get that front AC working so you won't get too hot watching all that TV!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 12:42:20 AM »
When we got the carry our last year for our TT, I signed up with Dish and than when we got back to Green Valley I shifted the house from Cox to dish and they came out and hooked everything up with a new roof mounted dish.

When we left this year, I just took the VIP211K with us, called dish with a move order to Idaho falls and we got the local channels just fine.  Did the same thing for Boise, Prineville, OR and Lebanon, OR.  Now we have it in the the Beaver and when we leave will just call in a move order for wherever we'll be staying for more than 3-4 day.  If we don't set the Carry Our out, we just wach recorded stuff.  So far so good.

One interesting note is that every time I call in a move order they want to send out an installer with a new dish.  Takes awhile to convince them otherwise.

Here in Lebanon, I can't get the 129 Sat. but it doesn't seem to make any differance as all our programs are still coming through.  I have seperate "favorites" guides for the 110 an 119 seperately, the combination of 110 and 119 sats, and the combo of 110, 119 and 129 programs.  This way I'm covered even if I can only see one sat.

No idea if Dish or Direct are better but I stongly suspect it's just an individual thing.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 02:28:55 AM »
We have had Direct TV since 1997 for our rural home and pay $4.95 per month for the Beaver. We have a in-motion roof mount and a portable system when the roof mount is blocked by trees. Works great.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 03:17:13 AM »
Quote from: Richard And Babs Ames
We have had Direct TV since 1997 for our rural home and pay $4.95 per month for the Beaver. We have a in-motion roof mount and a portable system when the roof mount is blocked by trees. Works great.
Same here, but don't tell DirecTV because you are in violation of the "Terms of Service".  It is not DirecTV's fault.  They were forced to change the terms by the FCC that were lobbied by networks, sports franchises, advertisers and local stations.

Trust me!  If you call them up, ask for support, an address change or repair you will find they no longer are allowed to like your set up like they used to.

Edward Buker

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 04:29:31 AM »
Dick,

Do you have a list of the Dish Network channels that are on each of the satellites 110, 119, and 129 that you made your favorites list from? Sounds like a good idea to have a favorites channel list guide by satellite for the Carry Out when using a two tuner receiver.

Thanks Ed