Author Topic: rear fan on engine access door  (Read 4468 times)

Tom and Pam Brown

rear fan on engine access door
« on: August 21, 2011, 03:53:40 PM »
My fan on the inside if my engine access door does not come on ever.  I straight wired and the fan does work.

Does anyone know where the fan gets it's power from?  I assume it it is wired to some sort of thermostat that calls for power at a certain temp.  It seems that if it works properly that the heat in the engine compartment would dissipate quicker once we are parked and allow faster cooling in the bedroom.

Thanks

Gerald Farris

Re: rear fan on engine access door
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 04:51:43 PM »
Tom,
I do not know exactly how your fan was wired. However the earlier model Marquis coaches with 3208 engines used a relay that turned the fan on at engine startup and a timer and relay to keep the fan running for thirty minutes on shutdown. The timer for that system is no longer in production, so if yours is wired in that manner you will probably have to engineer a system to control the fan in that manner.

I personally would just just wire in a timer and relay to run the fan for thirty minutes after shutdown. In my opinion the fan is not needed when the coach is running down the road and the only advantage to it would be to cool the engine compartment after shutdown. My 2000 Marquis does not even have the fan that you mentioned, and I do not feel a need for one.

Gerald

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:09:03 PM »
Gerald,

I just may wire up directly with a switch to cool off when I shutdown.

When we got to Florida last Wednesday evening, it took forever to cool off the bedroom area, due to the engine heat.  Just thought someone would know where or what actually turned it on, and I could replace the relay or temperature sending unit if it had one.

As always thanks for the suggestion.

T om
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:59:35 PM by 14 »

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 03:07:38 AM »
I do not know how the access door fans work on any coach, but I like the idea. So I installed one on our 05 Monterey. I used a pusher double fan. I bought a 12v adjustable electric thermostat that has a temperature probe that goes to radiator fins. NAPA auto parts has them for $45.00. I wired it to a 30 amp relay and got my power (w/fuse) from the starter batteries. It will run for about 15 or 20 minutes after shut down and my bride is much happier because the bedroom heat disipates faster. I also did not want to pay $400.00 for a double motor fan new, so I purchased a used double fan from a (I think a 93) Buick for $85.00. We will be in Branson if interested.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9