Author Topic: Hurricane Systen  (Read 5329 times)

Dick Simonis

Hurricane Systen
« on: August 25, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »
Question regarding bleeding the air from a Hurricane system.

I had to replace the Sealand hot water heater due to a leak and in doing so lost the cooant in the Hurricane system.  I have replaced the coolant and ran the pump manually but can not tell for sure if the air is gone.  I know the manual says to use a pressure pump to force collant through the system but that really isn't an option as I don't have access to one.

With the resovoir located as the highest point in the system it would seem like it should sorta self prime but I'm not sure and would like some advice from someone who has had a simliar problem.

Thanks for any input.

Dick

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: Hurricane Systen
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 04:24:33 PM »
Dick,

You are correct it will purge the air out through the tank.  You may have to add more fluid when it completely purges out the air.

When I did mine I had the folks at hurricane on the phone and they said it could take an hour or so...

Also on the rubber hoses that come out of the heat exchanger mash like a bulb and this will assist in getting the air bubbles out.

Tom

Michael Kauffman

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »
[size=14][face=Arial]Hi Dick, you might find this video helpful for you overall knowledge on Hurricane.  I keep the shortcut in my fav's.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6826998102493529581#

See ya, Mike[/face][/size]

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 06:12:56 PM »
Quote from: Tom and Pam Brown
Dick,

You are correct it will purge the air out through the tank.  You may have to add more fluid when it completely purges out the air.

When I did mine I had the folks at hurricane on the phone and they said it could take an hour or so...

Also on the rubber hoses that come out of the heat exchanger mash like a bulb and this will assist in getting the air bubbles out.

Tom

Thanks for the info.  Were you running the recirc pump the hour or so or does just sitting there do the trick?

Dick

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »
Dick,
You will need to run the circulation pump to purge the air. You will also need to check the system for coolant level when it is turned on because it will have a tendency to have a few small air pockets that will come out with the expansion and contraction involved with the normal operation of the system. So check the coolant level daily for the first few days of operation.

Gerald  

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 08:30:21 PM »
Dick,  

Sorry I was out making fuel money but Gerald got the answer to you anyway.

I just hope Gerald will log on to my headlight question!  He is the best.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:47:31 AM »
Great info, thanks all.

Also, of interest to me was that yesterday I pulled the panel off the end of the bay where the holding tanks are located and found a little heater that apperantly operates from the Hurricane.....pretty nifty.

Now if it cools down enough, I can run the systen and purge the air.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 10:33:58 PM »
Update!!!!!

Thanks for all the advice and it seemed to work with a few tweaks.  

First, in order to purge the air I had to run the pump with the expansion pressure cap off.  Not doing so would let the air escape the system.

Second, I did fire up the furnace to warm the fluid and it also seemed to lower the viscosity.  First try gave me a high limit alarm but now it runs just fine and heats the water tank nicely.

Third, rather than run the pump continuously, I occasionally stopped it and could hear the air gurgling around inside.  

Still, all in all it took  about an hour before the coolant level stopped dropping and the furnace would stay lit without activating the high limit alarm and shutting down.  All seems well but I will keep and eye on the coolant level.

Once again, thanks to all.

Dick
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:25:55 PM by 14 »