Author Topic: Diesel Engine for Generator Stalls  (Read 5111 times)

Bobby Sather

Diesel Engine for Generator Stalls
« on: September 01, 2011, 05:11:04 AM »
[size=14][/size] I have a 2004 Beaver Patriot Thunder with the 10kw generator. It runs sometimes very well and then after a while the engine runs rough.  Now will run for a short time and then start running rough and then quit. Murphys law is in effect as it always happens when you need it most.  Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Bobby Sather
435-862-9534
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:52:28 PM by 14 »

Joel Weiss

Re: Diesel Engine for Generator Stalls
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 05:13:11 AM »
When did you last replace the fuel and/or air filters?

Bobby Sather

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 05:52:12 AM »
Just replaced both filters about 42 hours ago.

Bobby Sather

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 05:54:23 AM »
Have wondered if a it could be getting air in the lines. But thought it funny that it would run sometimes very well and then start stalling and has been getting more temperamental as of late.

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 06:53:10 AM »
That diesel needs only air and fuel delivery to run properly. I would check that the air inlet is not plugged in any way (nest etc.), and that the air filter is installed correctly.

If there are no error codes stored and it does not shut down sharply from a sensor limit type fail, then I would look specifically at the fuel delivery system.  Because you had your fuel filter changed, I would look for a leaking air source at the filter fittings. Consider pulling the fuel filter again, emptying fuel from it in a clean glass jar, and inspect it. It is inexpensive enough to replace the filter again, to rule it out. You could also get a gallon of diesel fuel in a container, and plumb that into the filter inlet to isolate, if it is a fuel delivery issue or a generator issue.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:42:04 PM by 910 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »
Did this start after you changed the filters? Check connections and if good change the fuel filter again and cut open the one removed and check for contaminants or bad fuel filter.

Roger Bowton

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 05:52:38 PM »
check the oil level there is a low level shiut down and mine starts doing this when it gets low

Victor Picciotto

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »
Slide gen out look behind for rubber fuel line.  See if it then runs OK.  If not, most likely the fuel line (rubber) is being caught along the frame. Fairly common problem.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:49:19 PM by 14 »

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 06:07:25 PM »
Another idea ... as silly as it sounds ... is to check the air duct for obstructions.  We have had instances a couple times after dry camping all summer on our wilderness property, where wood rats and/or field mice had gotten into the air tube and were basically blocking the airflow.  The Cummins shop in Albuquerque ... Ken Vick ... in particular was the detective that discovered and corrected our problems.

Goof luck
Glenn and Betty Perkins
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:39:19 AM by 14 »