Author Topic: Air line for air to towed vehicle  (Read 1594 times)

pikebartlett

Air line for air to towed vehicle
« on: September 14, 2022, 08:56:21 PM »
Hello.  Recently purchased a 2005 Monterey Laguna IV. The air schematic for a 2006 shows a line for air for brakes on a towed vehicle. I'm assuming (hoping) that my '05 has a line or someone can tell me where to connect one.  I have an air braking system for my new towed Wrangler.
Thanks,
Pike Bartlett

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Air line for air to towed vehicle
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 10:57:38 PM »
On your coach's hitch plate where the tow bar plugs into the hitch, you should find a little "cap screw" or screw-in plug.  There should be an air line attached to the back side of the hitch plate right behind the screw-in plug.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 11:09:36 PM »
Welcome Pike.  BCS set up for towing our Monterey at delivery prep, so I’m not sure if our air connection was factory or their addition (see photo 1).  Yes they were supposed to be factory prepped, but up to what point?  So that could be an accessory connector on an air manifold somewhere under the coach.  My hose line isn’t blue like most are, so it’s hard to follow forward from the bumper.  It’s black and snakes among wire and hose bundles into oblivion under the bedroom hatch.

The associated electric line with “bullet” connector I think was added by BCS when they set up the tow apparatus;  a small red lamp on the dash illuminates to let me know whenever the toad’s brakes are applied.  I assume they connected it to the toad’s brake pedal switch.

If you don’t have a bumper mounted connector, hopefully someone here knows where to fit a 1/4” airline to under the rig.  I can see blue lines in one large bundle of wires and hoses under the bedroom hatch, likely going to the air chuck and tank drains on the bracket behind the battery bay door.  Conceivably one could tap the chuck line for the tow setup, but that may not be the optimal choice.  If we are factory prepped, then there should be relatively easy access to purposeful air.  One diagram I have shows a “tow car brake” line coming from a “service brake relay - ABS” module near the rear (secondary) air tank.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 11:25:17 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

pikebartlett

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 02:27:46 AM »
thank you for the quick responses. Very helpful. I'll post the outcome.
Pike

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 08:42:13 AM »
I’d forgotten…back then the Unified was the common unit, and the “pre wire” was pretty much anticipating it.

Joel

This from the back page of our old, and much missed, “Beaver Journal” bimonthly magazine, Jan-Feb, 2007.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat