Author Topic: Slideout repair  (Read 5047 times)

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
Slideout repair
« on: September 05, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »
My driver side bedroom slide on my '09 Marquis recently developed a problem due to some unfortunate poor design. The rollers supporting the slide (mechanical with electric motor) that are mounted to the inside sidewall of the coach started chewing into the FRP lining the underside of the slideout. Since there was nothing other than this FRP lininig the underside of the slide, I guess the weight and movement in and out caused the problem. Before it had a chance to seize-up I decided to re-enforce the bottom with two pieces of 16 gauge stainless that I had a friend at Tennessee Sheet Metal cut to my specs. 6" x 34 1/2". I then drilled each piece and attached them with ss round head self tapping screws. The width of the screw heads easily clears the rollers although I could have made the ss plates a little wider. Took some extra time to get the plates in place.
I put the plates on by partially extending the slide,placing wood blocks under the slide out on the frame outside and inside on the bedroom floor. I then adjusted the rollers down to give clearance for the plates, slid the plates in place and attached with screws. I then re-adjusted the plates being careful to keep the same clearances as before.
Sounds easy but it took me half a day to do this by myself. I have attached photos but unfortunately did not think to make "before" pics.
Believe me the wood and fiberglass was cracked and broken. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem.  :)
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Gil_Johnson

Re: Slideout repair
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:08:55 PM »
Great looking work!  I wonder if you even needed to wory about adjusting for the 1/16" material--my guess is no.  BTW, you can do mine  ;)

Gil
08 Contessa

Craig Rollins

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 01:34:14 AM »
Very nice job!

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »
You might have a new calling and business, if you want it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:08:10 PM by 14 »

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 03:33:17 AM »
Thanks guys! But I make my living fixin animals. The RV is just a side job!
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15