Author Topic: 1989 marquis air bags  (Read 1729 times)

Sigbert All III

1989 marquis air bags
« on: September 12, 2022, 10:58:02 PM »
How can I get air bags pumped up without cranking engine as I can't start it . I see three lines front left one has fitting on and it releases brakes not sure what other two are as there is no fill fitting
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 06:50:29 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: 1989 marquis air bags
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 11:36:00 PM »
My coach is a much different entity, Sigbert, but I’m guessing your two lines are for draining moisture from two tanks, the “brake” tank and the “accessories” tank.  The other line, that you refer to as for the brake release, may have a quick connect fitting.  Tow companies might use that to pressurize the tanks, allowing them to keep the brakes off.  Hooking an outside compressor to that fitting should fill both tanks, so you can air level or raise the coach.  You can also use that fitting to connect an airline for topping off tire pressures, but there's a trick to that and that's another story.

Others here more familiar with your configuration should speak up soon.  My rig has the quick connect tank fill, and 4 drain spigots (lines) for the two tanks that each have “wet” and “dry” sides to them.  As noted, yours is different.  But you should still be able to remotely fill the tanks and have means to drain any harmful moisture from them every so often.  I understand some coaches have moisture drain valves on the tank undersides;  owners must either crawl underneath to open them or use remote wires with T handles.  A properly operating engine compressor/air dryer should keep moisture out of the tanks, regardless.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 06:51:04 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Sigbert All III

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 11:53:33 PM »
I have put air to fitting and brakes release but for some reason my air bags are not inflating
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 06:51:18 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Sigbert All III

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 12:02:27 AM »
It's a 1988 gillig chassis , 1989 marquis
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 06:52:09 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 12:04:08 AM »
Put your ignition key to ON or ACCESSORY to activate your dash display and see that both air tanks, red and green, come up.  Your compressor should fill them to ~120psi.  They aren't tiny tanks, so depending on the size of the compressor it may take awhile.  The bags may not automatically inflate without you using the control pad to do so, but I think the bag valves depend on 12v from the ignition.  Turning it to ON may do the trick.

Systems normally use air supply (tanks or compressor) to activate the brakes release first.  Other devices such as entry steps or step cover, air horns, and other things deemed only accessory to coach operation, maybe even the bags, get air after that.  Thus, a primary and a secondary tank. 

Others here far more knowledgeable about '98 Marquis systems should ultimately chime in, and I'm no expert on air systems, especially given their changes over the years and models.  So keep checking here.   ;)

Joel

Dan was pointing out that your signature on your posts says,
"1998 Marquis
C12 425hp
" ,

and it should read "1989 Marquis..."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 06:52:28 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: 1989 marquis a
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 12:39:10 AM »
Sigbert
The air suspension is usually feed from a priority valve which is set at or near 70 psi this is done so that in the event of an air suspension failure resulting in a lose of air the priority valve will close at 70 psi cutting the air off to the leaking suspension and maintaining air pressure for the brake system.

If you don't get above the 70 psi threshold the priority valve won't send any air on the the suspension.
As Joel said check your gauges and see that your getting over 100 psi on both.

Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 06:52:47 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Sigbert All III

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 12:13:34 AM »
I got both needles up to 120 pounds with my small compressor, the back air bags came up a little and the front not at all and just last week they were working fine

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 03:54:21 AM »
Sigbert
I assume your 1989 marquis doesn't have HWH air leveling if it did i would point to a travel mode valve problem
The fact that one end of the vehicle started to take air would tell you that your air connection is in deed getting air to that ride height valve and may over time still raise that end of the vehicle but the air pressure has to be kept high enough to allow the priority valve to move enough air to do so if the valve opens and the air moving to the airbags or accessory tank drops the pressure below the priority valve thresh hold the valve will close and wait for the air compressor to catch up
If given enough the it should reach ride height if not then we are likely not putting air into the right location in the air system
Im not familiar with the air schematic for your chassis but it would appear by your description that your coach has air tanks at both the front and the rear of the coach and there is a check valve or a priority valve between where you are feeding the system and the tank for the other end of the coach
If you can find the compressor discharge line and follow it to the air dryer you should be able to find a connection there or at the wet tank which is where the line leaving the dryer is headed to feeding air to the wet tank is your best bet to air the whole coach
But again the air pressure has to be maintained above the 70 psi level to get everything to take air.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 04:01:39 AM »
Sigbert
Because the front suspension only uses one ride height valve its possible that the linkage has come disconnected it may be worth checking. 
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR