Author Topic: Air Conditioning Pump  (Read 5186 times)

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
Air Conditioning Pump
« on: September 06, 2011, 12:53:58 AM »
Just noticed on my 2000 Thunder C12 Cat that the AC pump clutch has seized up, as I could smell it burning when I started my coach .

Has anyone had a similar problem, and is it repairable, or do I need to order a new part from Cat or Beaver?

Right now everything is fine, as long as I don't turn on the AC switch, also how expensive is the part?

Thanks

Paul
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:24:29 AM by 14 »
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Air Conditioning Pump
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 01:19:30 AM »
Any good AC repair point should be able to fix your problem. We have replaced three over the years.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:39:34 AM »
Paul,
Your problem is not the A/C clutch, but it is actually that the A/C compressor is seized. You will need to have the A/C compressor replaced and the system recharged.

The A/C compressor is not a Caterpillar part and Monaco will charge way more for it than it is worth. So the best solution is your local supply point for automotive A/C parts if you can evacuate and recharge the system yourself after replacement, or just take it to an automotive A/C repair shop that you can trust. They will be able to get all of the necessary parts.

Gerald  

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 01:41:43 PM »
You should replace the dryer and expansion valve also when you replace the compressor. EPA regulations makes it impossible for the DIY person to comply depending on the refrigerant used.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 02:14:22 PM »
There is nothing in the EPA regulations that prevent a do-it-yourself mechanic from servicing the dash air on a 2000 model coach. All that you need is basic A/C tools (including vacuum pump and gauges) plus an understanding of how the system is designed and how it functions.

With a compressor replacement, I would not automatically replace the expansion valve unless you are sure that it is restricted because of the fact that it is almost impossible to access on a 2000 Thunder. The receiver/dryer on the other hand is accessible and should be replaced if there are any signs of contamination in the system.

Gerald

JimCasazze

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 07:37:41 PM »
If you need a suitable replacement compressor, you might want to look at an ICE (International Components Engineering) 2521493  HD truck compressor.   Also, there are a few other threads on dash a/c and dash ac compressors that you might wish to look at.  The dash wiring diagrams are on the old Beaver Technical site as well.
Jim

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 11:16:09 PM »
Thanks for the info on the freon Gerald I do not know what was used as some like r22 requires a recovery system. Our mechanic used a brand of compressor he liked better. I do not know brand or spec but the. System does seem more efficient.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 12:44:30 AM »
A non-working condenser fan allowed the freon to overheat and blow the seals out of the compressor.  This then seized, which caused the clutch to fail. Might be a good idea to check the operation on your condenser fan!  I can hear it from the drivers seat, with the door open.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:24:34 AM by 14 »