Author Topic: Heater Craft question  (Read 14431 times)

Dick Simonis

Re: Heater Craft question
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 12:31:01 AM »
Quote from: barbhalsell
Dick and Pat, I would like to hear more about your add-on electric heater located under your fridge. We have the room and it sounds like a tidy solution for times when you have electricity and dont want to burn diesel.
Barb

I'll see if I can find the manual and post a link and a pic.  It does work very well, not fancy but does have a thermostat which I set to about 10:00 an it keeps the coach from getting chilly at night.  I should find out where the power comes from so I'll nose around a bit on that also.  So far it has worked well enough that the Hurricane is only needed to warm things up in the morning and than only if the outside temps were in the 30's/low 40's.

Dick

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 03:29:59 AM »
My 5 gallon Seaward electric water heater has four hose  connections  into it. It heats the domestic hot water with one set,cold in and hot out; would the other two heat the engine and coach heater coolant system ;same as the Hurricane furnace heats.  If so,how do I switch this system on ?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:43:36 PM by 4115 »

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 03:48:24 AM »
Preheat Switch: On our '98 Patriot, this switch does only one thing; namely, it turns on the coolant circulation pump for the hurricane system and pumps(circulates) the water in the system throughout the coach.  If you want coach heat, you still have to follow the procedure mentioned above, of setting the main control. We use this feature a lot when traveling in chilly weather.

Also, on our coach when this switch is on the pump is on, so be aware you are pulling several amps from your coach batteries full time. That is fine, if you are plugged into AC or the Generator is running, but you may not want this switch on when parked, unless you have something charging your batteries, especially when it is cold.

We also always have the preheat switch on during travel, so the system is hot and ready when we park.

Larry Fritz
Adams, NE
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:55:58 PM by 14 »
Larry Fritz

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »
Hi Larry,
   The preheat switch is on the panel beside the driver.  So, when we are hooked up to "shore power", the Seaward water heater is heating the engine coolant, that will be circulated by the Hurricane pump, to the fan/radiators at floor level around the coach, as well as keeping the engine warm.  Brilliant. Better than the A/C Heat Pump 24,000BTU Coleman unit, as that only has one thermostat in the living area; the Hurricane system has two more; one  in the shower area, and one in the bedroom.  I am assuming the radiator fans and the Hurricane pump are powered from the "coach" batteries?
 We are headed to Yellowstone Park and then Seattle next month .
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:59:27 PM by 14 »

Dick Simonis

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
Quote from: Dick Simonis

I'll see if I can find the manual and post a link and a pic.  It does work very well, not fancy but does have a thermostat which I set to about 10:00 an it keeps the coach from getting chilly at night.  I should find out where the power comes from so I'll nose around a bit on that also.  So far it has worked well enough that the Hurricane is only needed to warm things up in the morning and than only if the outside temps were in the 30's/low 40's.

Dick

Here is a link to the electric heater.  If you like I can post a couple of pics.

http://www.cadetco.com/show_product.php?prodid=1005

Dick

barbhalsell

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 01:31:42 AM »
Thanks Dick, I linked over and it looks like it would be a nice addition for the coach. We have other things to take care of first but that is on the list. If you get a chance, a picture would be good to see how you have it configured.
Barb

Dick Simonis

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »
Quote from: barbhalsell
Thanks Dick, I linked over and it looks like it would be a nice addition for the coach. We have other things to take care of first but that is on the list. If you get a chance, a picture would be good to see how you have it configured.
Barb

Barb, just as a follow up, I found where the heater is tapped into the 120VAC.  Right above the inverter is a box with a couple of breakers and one is labeled "forward heater".  That seems to be it.

Dick

barbhalsell

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
Thanks Dick!