General Boards > General Discussion

generator belt replacement

(1/3) > >>

Michael DeFalco:
has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the cooling belt on the onan 10 k basement generator. if so are there any tips on the best way to tackle this ???    mike

Steve Huber Co-Admin:
I was told by a member who has since left the club that he did it in place. It is tight behind the geni but apparently there is just enough room to work. I had added issues with mine so shop pulled it.
Steve

Fred Brooks:
  Hi Michael,
I replaced the blower belt with 1320 hours on my 10K Onan. I extended the room and opened the compartment door. I was able to step into the space available to perform the repair. It took about 3 1/2 hours. When removing the lid bolts, you are working blind along the back edge. Skill level is moderate with some patience is suggested. The replacement belt is a Dayco 15320. Inspect the blower wheel for cracks. Soldier on! Blessings, Fred

Michael DeFalco:
oh thank you Fred for the tips, i see that the back bolts on the lid would be a challenge.i am assumeing the belt needs replacing because the gen drops out on high temp when ambient temp is above 75. gen has a tad over 1000 but i am sure its factory and has some age on it.So i am hoping i find the belt as my issue , either way because of the age it would be a good idea to replace.Not looking forward to the task but i will attempt it.i think the 3.5 hour job may be an 8 hour for me. thank you again Fred for the information and the belt info.     

Fred Brooks:
  Michael,
The issue became apparent to me when the generator would shut down under a small load was applied and trigger an over-temp condition. As I started to disassemble the case, I found small pieces of the drive belt scattered around. If you own a toolbox, it is in your wheelhouse to perform the repair. Fun project!
Blessings, Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version