General Boards > General Discussion

generator belt replacement

<< < (2/3) > >>

Carl Boger:
Michael,

I don't have a 10 K Onan, but I do have a 7.5.  When I took my lid off I put the back lid bolts back on through the nutzerts from the inside.  The bolts act like pins to keep the rear lid aligned and I put the side and front bolts in from the outside like normal. 

This way if and when I have to go back inside the generator I won't have to be such a contortionist to remove the lid. Hopefully this will help you some.

Michael DeFalco:
hi carl , thats a good idea i am sure the back bolts are all done blind both in and out. and i am sure dropping some when reassembling will happen to make it so much more fun. good idea thanks .

Fred Brooks:
   Michael,
I understand carl's reasoning for reversing the bolts but consider the following, the integrity of the structure is now compromised and the possibility of a harmonic buzzing sound coming from a loose edge may happen. The cooling ability of the generator is dependent on the outer casing. When I installed the back bolts, I put a small piece of masking tape on the head of the bolts to trap them inside the socket on the ratchet wrench so I wouldn't drop them behind the generator while installing them. Fred

Carl Boger:
Fred,

I will absolutely defer to your expertise on the subject over mine.  Our tops may be different, but on my top it is a snug fit just for the bolts to slide through the holes in the top.  There is not much slop at all.  Once I pull it over the reversed bolts the front cover is a tight fit as are the sides.  The front and side bolts hold everything tight. 

So far I have not had any issues in over 5 years, but that doesn't mean it can not or will not give me trouble later.
I guess others might not be as lucky as I have.

Fred Brooks:
  Hi Carl,
I commend your ingenuity and I am glad to hear that after 5 years your repair is working successfully. Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version