Author Topic: Tire Monitor System  (Read 2671 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Tire Monitor System
« on: September 26, 2023, 03:33:18 PM »
Our Tire Safeguard finally gave up the ghost so we're in need of another system. Needs to monitor 12 tires and be easily programmable. Current system is not longer available and I wouldn't get another one in any case. Am looking at the Tire Minder system. Any thoughts on it or other alternatives?
Thx, Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Tire Monitor System
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 03:46:06 PM »
Tire minder gets my vote, excellent customer service.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Steve Huber Co-Admin

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 04:02:31 PM »
Our coach came to us with the Pressure Pro system for 12 tires.  It interfaces with our Silverleaf display on the dash and rotates the individual 12 tires' pressures one at a time in series with an easily readable display.  Programming, while easy, is time-consuming because all of the tire screw-on sensors have to be removed except the one you're trying to program/interface into the system.  The sensors transmit tire pressures when installed on the tires' valves, thus when we plan to be parked for a few days or longer, I remove the sensors from the tires to preserve the sensors' battery lives.  When a sensor's battery gets low, a new sensor must be installed and programmed into the system.
 After the trade-in, I believe the sensors' cost was about $30 each.  That's correct - the sensors do NOT have replaceable batteries!   I do keep a few extra sensors on hand.  I store the sensors in a one-dozen egg carton, labeled so that I get the correct sensor on the correct tire each time I remove and replace the sensors.

IF, IF, IF Pressure Pro would redesign their sensors so that we could change the batteries, then I would easily and quickly recommend the Pressure Pro system.  However, given the fact that new sensors have to be purchased from time to time, depending upon the amount of use, I will not make that recommendation.  Good luck with your choice.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 06:10:39 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

John Bagwell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 04:42:49 PM »
i use the Tire Minder system.   I purchased 2nd system this year after 10 years with 1st.  New one is more advanced with color display.  I have had good service with TM system.  They have great customer service, and battery replacement.   Free batteries, just $5 shipping and handling. 
John Bagwell
2001 Monterey 36ft.
CAT 3126B
Toad. 2020 Ford Ranger

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 08:21:31 PM »
I've had TST507 now coming up on 4yrs and haven't had any issues with it. It cycles thru tires one at a time and alarms immediately on hi/lo temp or pressure. Setting it up was easy for me. You simply touch the sensors close to the display one at a time to initially bind it to the display. Batteries are just starting to die in the sensors and need replacing (CR1632). After replacing batteries there's no need to reprogram. I use the flow thru sensor on the coach and lighter cap sensors on the TOAD as the flow thru are supposedly too heavy for plastic valve stems on my truck. The battery in the display is rechargeable and seems to last quite a few days. I see amazon has $44 coupon on TST507 right now.
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Steve Huber Co-Admin

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 10:15:44 PM »
Steve,
I would probably switch to Tire Minder from my Pressure Pro system, especially if it would incorporate into my Silverleaf system.  I would call Silverleaf before doing that to ensure i could switch.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 01:59:13 AM »
   Steve,
I have had my tire-minder for 4 years now. Once you set the parameters to allow for living in the desert, it is a very good and dependable system. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 01:06:09 PM »
Steve
I had the pressure  pro system and it worked ok but after 5 years the sensors needed replacement due to depleted batteries and the cost was going to be more than a new system so i purchased the tire minder system 5 years ago and it works as well or better than the pressure pro .
On the tire minder sensors you can simply remove the sensor cap and replace the batteries when needed where as with the pressure pro you must replace the sensor each time the battery dies.
Tire Minder also offers free batteries for life you only pay the shipping fee
They e mail you with reminders and free batteries offers once or twice a year
The battery life seems to be about 1 1/2 to 2 years depending on travel
You can also purchase caps, o.rings ( for the caps) or sensors directly from them at the same time
The monitor can be set up with any number of tires you want and shows a picture of both coach and toad with each tire position and pressure ,it will alarm at pressure and or temperature which you program .
I would have no problem recommending the tire minder system

The only problem I have ever had with any of the sensors is I had  battery clips break in two sensors on the toad after 20 or 30 thousand miles and they both gave up after crossing cattle grates in the road (probably vibration) however on the road you can pickup sensors at Camping World in a pinch .

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Steve Huber Co-Admin

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2023, 12:27:04 AM »
Steve, Tire Minder is a good system but be prepared for occasional " no signal alarm "and " Leaking " alarms as we have experienced during the last 9 months since we switched to Tire Minder. All false alarms due to signal interference or tires cooling while idling.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 02:21:03 AM »
Do the leaking alarms correct if you recycle the system? My current Tire Safeguard sensors often send out an over temp alarms (with normal PSI readings) but correct after the system is turned off for a few minutes.
Steve
Steve
Coachless

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2023, 02:18:33 PM »
Steve
I personally have not had any air leaking alarms, however I have on occasions had an over pressure alarm usually after driving for 5 or 6 hours on hot Pavement where the tire pressure goes up over time from my set 115 to somewhere around 127 i believe this is because the system is set for a max 10 psi pressure gain. This could be eliminated by switching from air to nitrogen in the tires as nitrogen doesn't expand at the same rate as air does.
The system does have a repeater to boost the signals from the toad for better reception on my coach I mounted it in the bedroom electrical panel and it works well.
The only time I see any real temperature gains on my coach is while descending mountain passes and i believe that is due to heat build up off the dis brakes from repeated brake applications  although I have not had an alarm because of it and they quickly cool back down if you stay off the brakes .this probably wouldn't even be an issue if I had a Jake brake instead of the exhaust brake.
The monitor has a built in rechargeable battery which will run the system for 8 hours with no problem but I always forget to charge it so I installed a 12 volt out let left if the dash with a usb charge port so i could plug the TPMS and my tow brake monitor into this is connected to ignition power so it only charges while the coach is running and works great .

I've sent a PDF of the Tire Minder i10 manual to your email for your perusal.

All in all after 5 years and probably 40,000 miles I'm happy with the system

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2023, 11:43:44 PM »
  My only recurring message is a "NO5" which is "no signal" and that does not happen very often. I mounted my signal booster on the hitch cross bar behind the rear lower valance. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2023, 03:08:34 PM »
Minderresearch.com/sale.   I have the 88c model, works great; on sale now.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2023, 06:02:05 PM »
Thanks to all for the info on the Tire Minder system. Special thanks to Bill for alerting me to the Tire Minder Clearance. I purchased a TM-77 system with 10 transmitters at a saving of  $415! Then purchased 2 added sensors on Amazon. Will install system next week.
Again Thanks  All    Steve
Steve
Coachless
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks, Bill Lampkin