Author Topic: Tire Monitoring Systems  (Read 10834 times)

Randy Perry

Tire Monitoring Systems
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:27:18 PM »
I've been thinking of getting a tire monitoring system and then my FMC magazine shows up in todays mail. They gave info on 8 different models to choose from! So my question to ya'll is, if ya have one, would ya recomend it?

Ken Buck

Re: Tire Monitoring Systems
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 12:20:04 AM »
I have the Hawkshead system. I liked it because of the replaceable batteries. I bought sensors for all 10 MH wheels and 4 toad wheels. I've had it just over a year now and still can't make it work properly. After I read your post I just went and checked and it reports no sensor on 2 wheels, the left front and right tag. Even without the booster, which I have installed, it should read the sensor 6 feet away. It changes which sensor it won't read, sometimes it even sees all of them. It will often read "high pressure" on the front tires while driving. It says there is 112 psi in them. The unit is set for the tires to read 105 psi and they are actually filled to 100. (by 3 different gauges)

While sitting at a camp site it often gives off its 10 beeps because it suddenly can't find a sensor. The batteries have been changed, the sensors moved to different locations. For whatever reason, I can't make it work reliably and therefore I tend to ignore it. A waste of $500 because I can't believe it.

I would not buy Hawkshead again.

Ken

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:36:55 AM »
Don't Leave Home without it!!!!

We installed the TIRE-SAFEGUARD System 2 years ago, so far we have had 2 tires go on the tow car plus we have been able to correct low air in the coach because of the systems. The system has saved us many dollars in repairs, I would not drive a coach with a tow and not have a system installed "EVER"
This TIRE-SAFEGUARD system has great support we have had one tire cap monitor go down on us I call the 800 number and 2 days later the folks "Derick" had a new cap at our camp ground No Charge, you can't beat that for support

The system ran around 5-600 dollars we got a deal at the FMCA rally in redmond OR I am certain that we have got our moneys worth.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:06:24 AM »
Funny you should bring up this topic at this time.  I'm going through the exact same process and just yesterday decided to purchase the Tire Safeguard system before they raise the price back up.  $499.00 for 6 flow through and 4 button (toad) seems pretty reasonable.

The flow through sensors are very high on my priority list but I was concerned about the fact the batteries are not user replaceable.  I called the manufacturer and was reassured that the would give a minimum of 5 years life.....that's OK I guess.

Dick

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 01:13:44 AM »
We have the TST (Truck Systems Technology) system and are very pleased.

Steve Jewell

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 02:11:21 AM »
We have the Pressure Pro. I programmed the Silver Leaf VMS to monitor it. We watch 10 tires on coach and 4 on tod. Works great.

Steve J

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 02:37:55 PM »
2bucks and SteveJ, how do you get 10 tires on your coach?  2 in front, 4 on the drive and 2 on the tag would make 8, I think!  (grin).

I have had a Pressure Pro for several years.  I had difficulty getting it running until they sent me a replacement system.  After that it has worked very well for four years.  It helped me catch a toad tire with a nail in it.  Replacement sensors are $35, so I will have to re-evaluate when the batteries die.  And, the monitor is ugly compared to the others now on the market.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »
Highly recommend the TIRE SAFE GUARD.  Had Pressure Pro which would NOT give me accurate readings or even read the toad tires, even with the extra transponder in the toad.  

Also have inflated all tires toad and motorhome with nitrogen.

Ken Buck

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 04:10:28 PM »
Quote from: Bill Sprague
2bucks and SteveJ, how do you get 10 tires on your coach?  2 in front, 4 on the drive and 2 on the tag would make 8, I think!  (grin).

Would you believe I put them on the spares too? How about, I'm using new math? Maybe I rounded up? Or perhaps it was a slip of the brain.

Ken

Jeff Watt

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 05:04:36 PM »
Bought the Truck System Technologies (TST) model 507 which has the replaceable batteries. Although I bought a repeater, I did not need to install it as the monitor acquires the info from the toad without it.

It seems to work well and the readings are close to gauge. It takes some fiddling to set the pressure limits so that you don't get too sensitive reaction to low or high. Kind of annoying when the warning goes off at say 116 if set at 115.

I did like speaking to, I think, one of the owners when I ordered. I do have a problem with one tire and he suggested it is the valve in the tire not the TST - probably correct as I have tried a few of the other sensors on that tire and it won't give a reading.

Jeff

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 05:28:51 PM »
TST gets my vote...good customer service. it saves a lot of headaches and worrying about the tire pressure. I have got one tire that needs a little extra loving care about once a month but other than that....no problem.   great piece of mind.  Would not leave home without them after two blowouts two years ago. I monitor the toad and motorhome.

Jerry :)