Author Topic: Propane Sensor  (Read 5343 times)

JimDyer

Propane Sensor
« on: November 16, 2011, 12:00:53 PM »
My propane tank sensor has a chunk out of the back and doesn't send data to the CMP-10. (Dealer incompetence) Does anybody know where to get one?

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Propane Sensor
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:02:46 AM »
The sensor is on the tank. It gets its signal from the gauge on the tank. Check for a good contact at the connection. If you are refering to the brown box near the floor as a sensor, it is the sensor that buzzes if it smells propane, say, from a leak or an appliance that the pilot light has gone out on. Propane is heavier than air thats why that sensor is near the floor. Marty

JimDyer

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:32:11 AM »
Quote from: Marty and Suzie Schenck
The sensor is on the tank. It gets its signal from the gauge on the tank. Check for a good contact at the connection. If you are refering to the brown box near the floor as a sensor, it is the sensor that buzzes if it smells propane, say, from a leak or an appliance that the pilot light has gone out on. Propane is heavier than air thats why that sensor is near the floor. Marty

The propane detector by the fridge works fine. It is the plastic piece that fits in the end of the propane tank that is broken. The float assembly in the tanks works, The external sensor which changes the magnetic signal to electrical is broken. I will clean up the contact and make sure, but there is a large chunk missing out of the plastic silver-dollar-sized plastic.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:39:23 AM »
Go to a major propane supplier. Some but not all have a replaceable gauge with the contact. I delivered propane for a couple of seasons and replaced a few gauges. Marty

JimDyer

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:31:40 AM »
The local propane guys had nothing for me, but I was going by Alliance today and they had one. $49.