Author Topic: Aqua Hot Leak  (Read 5971 times)

Edward Buker

Aqua Hot Leak
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:57:08 PM »
Thought I would pass along a little info about my Aqua Hot Leak and repair. While traveling this summer one of the brass elbow compression fittings that couples the Aqua Hot manifold to the PEX piping started to drip. I chose not to address this issue while on the road. I placed a sponge under the fitting and would top off the expansion tank when required.

I did the repair yesterday and found that the root cause of the fail was a cracked compression fitting that must have been over tightened sometime in the life of the coach. At the recommendation of Roger Berke I used a heater hose elbow, a brass barb fitting, a PEX insert (brass fitting that slips inside the Pex to keep its shape) and several constant spring tension clamps. I mail ordered the fittings from Roger. The repair took a couple of hours, was not a nightmare to do, and I am now happy to be leak free. Roger indicated that this coupling method is much less prone to leaking. Because there is no extra PEX pipe length to trim back and repair a compression fitting, you are looking at some form of coupling, and this method worked very well.

I have a PDF file that shows the fittings and method if anyone needs it. Email me at e.buker@gulftel.com
Hope your systems stay leak free but just in case....

Later Ed
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:43:51 PM by 910 »

Bill Sprague

Re: Aqua Hot Leak
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
Good job!

Roger Berke is a great resource.  Yesterday I completed a repair to my HydroHot with his help, advice and parts.  

Roger is a unique businessman.  He gives away everything he can in the form of knowledge, advice, trouble shooting and repair tips.  He does that without any apparent selfishness.  If you want to buy parts, he sells them at a discount.  If you want service he will do it or help you find someone that can.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:24:54 AM by 14 »

Les Marzec

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »
Great info.  Do you have contact information on Roger Berke?  I am chasing an aquahot smoking on start up issue.

Thanks

Les Marzec

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »
Les,

This is Roger's website with contact link.
http://www.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/

There will be some smoke at start up, although I get slight to none now. Nozzle spray pattern, incorrect fuel pump pressure, leaking fuel cut off solenoid, burner motor low RPM, can all affect the quality of the combustion. Electrodes and ignition transformer/drive circuitry have some bearing if you are not getting an immediate and repeatable firing once fuel is introduced. Roger should be able to steer you right....

Later Ed

Les Marzec

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Ed,

Thanks for info.  

I am not sure what it is. It looks like I am getting fuel leaking because I can smell it.  I had a guy look at it, but he thought everything was ok except for the controller.  It was not shutting down properly.  I replaced that and now it functions properly, but I still get a light bluish smoke at start up.  Lasts about 4 or 5 minutes.  Fair amount of smoke.  I wouldn't want to be parked next to me.

I will call him and If I can not get it sorted out, I will see him in Quartzite.

Thanks again.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 12:27:15 AM »
I traced my smoking issue to a bad coil.  After replacement, no problem.

Larry