Author Topic: EXTERIOR TV  (Read 6292 times)

Ron Travers

EXTERIOR TV
« on: November 28, 2011, 12:25:57 AM »
I HAVE AN 07 THUNDER WITH AN EXTERIOR ENTERTAINMENT CENTER/TV THAN COMES DOWN OUT OF THE BOTTOM OF THE FRONT CURB SIDE SLIDE. THIS THING HAS WORKED INTERMITANTLY AT BEST SINCE THE DAY I BOUGHT THE COACH. SOMETIMES IT WOULD WORK, OTHER  TIMES NOT. NOW IT WILL NOT OPERATE AT ALL. I HAD IT LOOKED AT ONCE AT AN RV DEALER, BUT THE TECH KNEW LESS THAN I DO ABOUT IT. ANYONE HAD ANY SIMILAR ISSUES, OR IDEAS AS TO WHAT MAY CAUSE THIS. I HAVE CHECKED ALL THE OBVIOUS STUFF, FUSES, ECT. THANK YOU.

Randy Perry

Re: EXTERIOR TV
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:15:04 AM »
Do you lose power to the equipment? Have anything to do with a GFI receptacle, possibly located in a bathroom or kitxhen?

Ron Travers

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:32:22 AM »
NO, IT WILL NOT GO UP OR DOWN. THIS FUNCTION OPERATES ON 12V. I HAVE TRACED WIRES,CHECKED FUSES,EVEN TOOK THE COUCH APART SO I COULD CHECK THE 12V ACTUATOR MOTOR, AND CANNOT FIND THE PROBLEM. I THOUGHT I WOULD POST THIS HERE IN HOPES THAT SOMEONE ELSE HAD ALREADY BEEN THROUGH THIS AND COULD SHARE THEIR FINDINGS.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:40:57 AM »
The GFCI on Wired's coach is likely in the bay with it, and you are right, Randy, he should check the outlet's button.  There was discussion here in threads earlier this year regarding the varying quality of GFCIs, and he may have one of the bad ones.  A Search of this Forum using the tag "GFCI" may prove beneficial.

But since the issue has been intermittent over time, it could be something else.  He didn't elaborate on which "entertainment center" components were inoperative, or whether he tested the outlet(s) with a multimeter, or tried a small portable appliance in the outlet to see if it worked.

Addendum:  OK, scratch all that... I thought you were talking about the components not working.

So you've checked for voltage at the motor terminals?  If powered, does the motor try to run when turned on?  The mechanism could be binding somewhere, and burned up the motor.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Ron Travers

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 04:09:21 AM »
JOEL, THE ACTUATOR MOTOR WORKS FINE. WHEN I TOOK THE COUCH OUT TO GET TO IT, I CONNECTED DIRECT TO 12V AND THE MOTOR WORKED FINE. MY PROBLEM IS IN THE CONTROLS,I THINK, I JUST DON'T KNOW WHERE. I HAVE EVEN LOOKED AT THE PAGES AND PAGES OF WIRING DIAGRAMS THAT CAME WITH THE COACH, BUT THEY WHERE NO HELP. I AM AN ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR, SO THESE DRAWINGS ARE NOT FOREIGN TO ME,BUT IT IS AMAZING HOW MANNY CIRCUITS AND MILES OF WIRE ARE IN THESE COACHES.ANY MORE THOUGHTS?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:12:11 AM »
The slide mounted TV has a control interlock that prevents the TV mount from operating when the slide is not full extended, and it also prevents the slide from operating when the TV is lowered.

So I would look at the slide position indicator switch as well as the TV operating control module. Since the TV operating control module is evidently also tied into the slide control, the problem may also spread to your slide.

Since I have never worked on this system, I can not be of much help here, but the service department at Beaver Coach Sales in Bend can probably tell you were to start looking.

Gerald  

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 03:50:57 PM »
Based on the year of your coach, you probably also have a multiplex system for switches and the entertainment system is controlled by one of the multiplex modules. It is very possible that the module controlling the system has failed. Generally there are several 12 volt fuses on each multiplex module and you can check those however in my case, all of the fuses themselves were fine and it was a module itself that had failed. It started with the Aqua Hot diesel control switch and over a few days progressed to the AH electric switch, fantastic fans (3) switches and then the water pump.

Ron Travers

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:37:42 PM »
I WILL CHECK AND SEE IF I CAN FIND THE SLIDE INTERLOCK SWITCH. IF THE PROBLEM IS IN THE MULTIPLEX SYSTEM AS JAY SAYS, I THINK I WILL GIVE UP AND TAKE THE COACH TO BEND. I HAVE A COUPLE OTHER PROBLEMS THAT I DON'T WANT TO TACKLE MYSELF AND THEY ARE PROBABLY THE CLOSEST TO ME KNOWLEDGEABLE ENOUGH TO FIX IT. THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 11:45:42 PM »
Like Gerald, I have little familiarity with such systems, but he makes a valid point.  Assuming there is a mechanical safety switch, as he describes related to slide operation, in the circuitry to the motor, ground side or hot, that would be a likely device to hunt down and check its connections, mountings, and functionality.  One would presume it to be mounted proximal to the slide box perimeter inboard.

If anyone reading this thread is familiar with the precise or likely location of such a switch on Wired's coach, an '07 Patriot Thunder, please weigh in and help him find it.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat