Author Topic: Cargo bay lights don't work  (Read 7350 times)

Joel Weiss

Cargo bay lights don't work
« on: November 30, 2011, 05:48:24 PM »
A few months ago I posted that we almost had a fire from a cargo bay light that turned on during travel.  I changed everything to LEDs but now I can't get any lights under there to work even if I put back the original bulbs.  I guess there may be a switch but I sure don't know where it is.

Here's what I've done so far:
  • in the engine bay (passenger side rear) there's a switch labeled COMP LIGHTS which I thought might be compartment lights.  it seems to have no effect whatsoever.
  • I checked to see if it was wired with the power door locks for the bays, but that wasn't right either.
  • the fuse labeled as being the bay lights is fine; it handles the TV amp and that works fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Joel
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:17:22 AM by 14 »

Jeremy Parrett

Re: Cargo bay lights don't work
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 05:53:37 PM »
Dont forget the Bay Light switch on the dash.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:05:59 PM »
That's just the point--the Patriot Thunder series doesn't have such a switch.  I have the door lock switch, the engine preheat (for the Hurricane), and everything else is just typical (generator start, etc).  Where is your switch located?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »
Joel,
On the 2000 Marquis the bay light switch is located in the far left side of the dash. It is next to the driving light switch and above the docking light switch.

Gerald

Jeff Watt

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:19:31 PM »
Joel's point about the lack of a switch caused me to ponder the possibility of installing one in my PT as it too does not have a master switch (that I am aware of). The thought came to mind as I was in my shop looking for something and when I opened a bay door, a light was on - not sure how long it has been on but a couple of days for sure. Even changing to LEDs doesn't solve the forgetfulness factor  :)

Anyway, would it be a simple as tapping into the wire coming off of the "Bay light" circuit breaker? If so, can wires be sent from it to a dash switch, preferably to a lighted one so one can easily see if the bay lights are on? Would an inline fuse be required? My 2000 Triple E had a master bay light switch by the other light switches at the entrance - it was a red lighted so you knew if the bay lights were on. The down side was the switch had to be on in order to turn any of the lights on in the bay.

Jeff

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 02:24:20 AM »
That's exactly how my '06 Monterey is set up, Jeff;  the bay light switch is in the row by the door.  I am more than a little astonished you don't have a switch somewhere, especially on a Patriot Thunder.  

Have you tried calling or emailing someone at Beaver Coach Sales in Bend, OR?  I'd certainly do that before starting a wiring project.   www.beavercoachsales.com.  1-800-382-2597 and ask for Ty Kelly, Ron Estes, or Chris Jackson, who've been around Beaver coaches as much as anybody.  Or 1-800-843-2967 and see if Loren in Service remembers where your switch, if any, might be.

Joel  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:47:54 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

JimDyer

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 02:28:36 AM »
My 98 Marquis has the same switch as your 2000, Gerald

Joel Weiss

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 02:37:45 AM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
That's exactly how my '06 Monterey is set up, Jeff;  the bay light switch is in the row by the door, though it's not lighted, which would be nice.  I am more than a little astonished you don't have a switch somewhere, especially on a Patriot Thunder.  

Have you tried calling or emailing someone at Beaver Coach Sales in Bend, OR?  I'd certainly do that before starting a wiring project.   www.beavercoachsales.com.  1-800-382-2597 and ask for Ty Kelly, Ron Estes, or Chris Jackson, who've been around Beaver coaches as much as anybody.  Or 1-800-843-2967 and see if Loren in Service remembers where your switch, if any, might be.

Joel  

Thanks, Joel.  I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Joel

Jeff Watt

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 04:56:50 AM »
By the door, my coach has switches for:

Entry Step, Coach Power, Step Lights, Patio Light, Overhead lights.

Below the drivers window beside the switches for tag and dump there is a blank switch plate - maybe that is where it is supposed to be? I don't have a switch for docking lights as there aren't any - just backups which come on when in reverse.

Jeff

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 07:32:57 PM »
After poking around a bit I determined that my problem may be more mundane but harder to resolve.  I discovered that I have exactly one working bay light (the water distribution panel) but none of the others work.  The most likely scenario is that there are one or more loose 12V connections.  It's probably the same reason I am having other 12V lighting issues reported in a separate post.  According to the folks at Beaver Sales there's a bunch of connections over behind the microwave.  Some of them probably got disturbed when we had our microwave replaced a couple of months ago.  We're going back to have some more work done in a couple of months so we'll have them take the microwave back out and tighten things up.

Thanks for all the help.  At least we did determine that 2000 Patriot Thunders do not have a master switch for the bay lights!

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 11:34:10 PM »
Hey, don't feel to bad, I thought all my bay lights on my present coach were all burned out and was really cussing BCS.  I bought all new bulbs and they still didn't WORK!  THEN I found there was a cut-off switch by the door.   NOW, I have a good supply when they do (if ever) burn out!!!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 11:51:55 PM »
We seem to have also determined that at least some relatively new Patriots apparently have neither master bay light switches nor docking lights, which I would think to be standard on that model, not optional.  Wow.

My only issue with the master bay light switch is that when I'm out fumbling in a dark bay and hit that light switch, it often inconveniently fails to provide the light I need because the master switch is off;  so I have to walk back to the entry door to kick it on - at least mine doesn't require going all the way to the driver's console, esp. if I have muddy shoes, etc.  So the master serves its purpose to prevent inadvertant battery rundown, but requires a brain with a memory to use properly  :P.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat