Author Topic: fresh water filters  (Read 7467 times)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
fresh water filters
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »
I have an issue that for me is confusing and hope someone may have an answer. We are parked at a nice site with full hook-ups. The water pressure at the source appears OK, yet in the coach we get no flow.

I have 2 questions right now that puzzle me.

1. I am fine with the water pump on great pressure and with the hose hooked to the outside source. If the pump is on am I using the house water tank water?

2. I have 2 filters in the basement plus a in line filter at the tank(its really just a screen). I did have the folks in Bend change the big filters a year ago and have also pulled the in line tank screen about 1.5 years ago. I do use a pre-filter on the water hose so all water has to move through 3 filters and the tank screen.

I assume that one of the filters must be plugged since the in house system is working good.

I don't know how often the big filter need to be changed as this would depend on how much hard water you get and how often you travel. It seems like I have been mostly OK but since we have owned the rig 3 years I find that city water pressure has often been a problem.

Last question how do you check the filters or do you just change them as pressure is reduced?
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Weiss

Re: fresh water filters
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:16:01 PM »
Hi Jerry--
Filters like those don't get plugged by hard water but rather by the "stuff" (particles) in the water passing through them.  We had filters like those at our S&B.  Only a water softener is affected by the hardness of the water, not a filter.  As for when to change them, I often changed them only when I noticed a reduction in flow; sounds like maybe that's whats happened to you.

There is also the possibility that one of the several screens in the system could be clogged.  I don't know where your screens are, but typically there is one right where at the city water connection.  They are small and can easily get clogged.  We had that happen to us a few months ago.
Joel

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:58:37 PM »
I just tried to phone you and left a message.

You have way too many filters!  Do you do that for your stick house too?  

The cartridges in your picture are standard hardware store parts.  There various cartridges you can buy at Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace or True Value.  They are of a standard size.  The outside of the case unscrews.  You can usually do that with your hands, big pliers or a special wrench you can get at the above stores.

If you do filter at the hose bib, there is no reason to filter in the motorhome too.  Unscrew the housings, throw away the cartridges and put them back together.  Don't loose the "O" ring.  

The standard inlet (at least on mine) is a device common to most RVs.  It is a pressure reducer, regulator and one way valve.  It has a screen and washer like you find on house appliances.  It get plugged easily.  The first one I had from Beaver dropped the pressure to 40.  I replaced it with one from Camping World rated at 50.  I disliked that enough I fashioned my own from Home Depot parts that has no restriction at all.  Instead I have a commercial grade pressure control I screw to the campground water supply.

So, short version is to keep you in line hose filter, clean the inlet screen and get rid of the couch cartridges.

Call me if you need help.  If you are back from 7 Feathers, I am available to help.

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 10:38:25 PM »
Hi Jerry,

We have the same filters and had the same problem down in Borrego Springs and again at 7 Feathers over New Years. I tried to change them in Borrego and purchased one of the wrenches at Lowes. That's when I realized that they aren't quite the same thing as all the stores have. Filters are different and wrenches won't fit. I have a fabric style strap wrench I'm going to use when it stops raining and I do have 2 spare sets of filters for the system - one is a particulate filter and the other is a chemical filtration filter. They can be had on-line and I can get the part number and type if you decide not to do as Bill suggested. My problem went one step further as the water pump would not charge the reservoir  - just kept running so we had no water pressure at all, pump or city water. I'm gonna have to empty the aft storage bay and crawl into the water bay to figure it out.

Jay

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 01:14:09 AM »
Hi Jay, I was able to get the Watts #'s but after speaking with Sean(Beaver Coach) he told me that standatd filters would do the job. I did change one what a job the carbon filter I did a pass on as I also didn't have the correct wrench.

Here is a idea on your problem, we have an 06 thunder in the service bay just to the rightr of the gravity fill we have a winterize switch it should be in the normal position, if you have this system and the switch is in winter you will have the same problem no pressure with city or with the pump.

Will you be doing any of the rallies this year?

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 01:33:33 AM »
Quote from: Jay and Raylene Todd
My problem went one step further as the water pump would not charge the reservoir
The what?  I don't think I have one.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 01:37:37 AM »
Quote from: Jerry Carr
Will you be doing any of the rallies this year?  

We got both of you signed up for "Do Nothing" in Sisters, but only one of you signed up for "Mt. Rainier".  

Let's get with it Jay!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 02:00:20 AM »
Bill I did change out both of my filters today, I spoke with Sean (Beaver Coach) and he told me that the filters are just "Standard" filters any brand would work. I used Whirlpool "Standard" filters with no problem's, I did also tracker down the Watts numbers if anyone would like them  but it really didn't make sense paying for the factory replacements.

The Whirlpool filters at Lowes cost about $10.00 for the 2 woven particle filters and you can get the carbon filter for about $10-$29.00 it would seem that the offer for a cost more filtration I bought the mid priced for $15.

The job was not fun(no space) this is the reason I liked the front seat I never really liked getting dirty Ha!

The guys on the ground never really liked my write ups Plane "BROKEN"    
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »
Quote from: Jerry Carr
Bill I did change out both of my filters today... can get the carbon filter for about $10-$29.00
I avoid the carbon filters because they are designed to remove chlorine.  I depend on the chlorine to keep the system clean, just like the municipal water department that put it there.   If I am somewhere where the water is really bad, I will put in a chlorine (carbon) filter.  Since my "low end" coach has no built in filters, I do it all at the hose bib with a standard sized cartridge I made from Home Depot parts.  It is easy to change them.

I always preferred "AFU" to "BROKEN".  The result was the same.  "Couldn't duplicate gripe on ground".

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 01:00:36 AM »
Do I have any water filters on my 2000 Marquis other than the small cartridge for the ice maker??   I have been using a portable CSA Group double filter with UV light for the last 2 years. The filters are 0.5 micron and 1 micron  by Pure T.
If I have water filters behind the water bay service panel I would like to know !!!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 04:16:42 PM »
Jeremy.
Unless a previous owner added extra filters, the only water filter in your coach is the inline  filter in the water pump compartment. That filter is for the water to the hot water dispenser at the kitchen sink and the icemaker.

Gerald

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »
Gerald,
  thanks for the  information.  One day I will install my portable filter system, but it will not be behind the water bay ss. panel, unless I modify it for easier access !!!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:39:41 PM by 14 »