Author Topic: Awing on 2000 marquis  (Read 5028 times)

John Burt

Awing on 2000 marquis
« on: January 20, 2012, 07:51:17 PM »
We have a 2000 Marquis.  Is there anyway you can turn off automatic closing of the awing.  When we turn off the power to it, we lose all electric on passanger side of coach.  Any suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:27:45 PM by 14 »

George H. Wall

Re: Awing on 2000 marquis
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 08:24:40 PM »
I take a milkshake sized cup and place  it over the anomometer cups, and tape or velcro it to the roof.  G H Wall

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 08:39:22 PM »
Just don't break off any cups; you can't buy just the spinning thing and the sensor itself is ~$150.  Although the new sensor design uses curved "vanes" and seems to be much more sensitive to wind than the original design.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 10:48:38 PM »
How about installing a switch that either turns off the awning power or the wind speed sensor?  The CareFree system includes switches for both awning power and wind speed closing.  It would seem very hard to do.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 02:39:11 PM »
It would be preferable to adjust the sensitive of the wind speed sensor as apposed to disabling it. If you get an unsuspected wind increase, the awing arms can break from the extra stress. Therefore it is very risky to disable a Girard wind speed sensor.

Gerald

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 03:43:02 PM »
I agree with Gerald.
 Above the entrance door is the inverter control and awning control cabinet. I had to remove the cabinet door complete to allow the black plastic panel to be removed with  both control panels still attached.  Behind this you will find the junction box that houses the awning circuit board. I have repositioned the junction box to enable the lid to be removed without removing the box first!! You will see a small set screw with increments from 0 - 40 kph.  I reset mine to 30 kph......which is just under 20 mph. The original setting on mine was 20 kph......around 13 mph!! So far all is well,and the awning only retracts in bigger gusts of wind.  I did not see an on/off switch and I would not recommend installing one. At 20 mph you will probably decide to retract the awning anyhow.
I   have been provided with  just the wind sensor cups from Lazydays in Tampa FL.  after wiping one out on a tree branch.   I know several people who have fabricated a nice looking 'shield'  made from 1/2 in wide thin flat stainless steel. Make a cross shape with a sufficient rise to cover the wind cups. Drill small holes in the slightly tuned up ends(feet) and rivet the cross together making sure you have clearance under the rivet.Secure the shield to the roof with self tapping screws about 1 in long and put a little sealant on the screws.  
Hope this helps.  
 Hope this helps.  It was a fidely job but doable with average skills.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:55:57 PM by 4115 »