Author Topic: Driving Lights  (Read 9959 times)

Dick Simonis

Driving Lights
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:50:04 PM »
If you can believe it, I turned my head lights on for the first time since we bought the coach.  What can I say, I'm retrired and don't like driving after dark.

Anyway, I have a switch for Driving lights that I suspect are the two small round ones at the bottom.  However, nothing works.  I did find out the headlights won't come on unless the engine is running and they seem nice and bright but nothing for driving lights.  I reckon the bulbs could be burned out and will check those and it looks like they should come on when the headlamp switch is in the parking light position.  I base that on the rocker swich light.

Also, did note that the taillights are really wimpy...not much light at all.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Driving Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:57:04 PM »
Some driving lights turn off when the headlights are on bright (high beam).

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 03:14:48 AM »
 Dick,
The driving lights on your coach are wired through the ignition switch solenoid, so they should be on only when the driving light switch and the ignition switch are both turned on.

Gerald

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:21:40 AM »
In re:  weak tail lights. Pull the bulb socket from the back of the lens housing and see if the bulb is coated with dust. If yes,  clean it and pull the lens assy. from the coach. Rinse out the inside with hot water and let dry. Before putting the bulb socket back in the housing apply a coating of plumber's grease to outer edges of the socket seal. The plumber's grease will not deteriorate the rubber and will help to keep the dust at bay and is cheaply purchased at ACE or LOWES and H/Depot.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »
Thanks for the input.

I'll check the driving lights again with just the ign switch on and see if that works but I belive I did that with no success.

I'm also looking into replacing the tail/stop light with LCD bulbs.

Phil Sales

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:46:54 PM »
Dick and Pat,
I have the 2000 Marquis (same tail lights, 1999 Lincoln Navigator) I put in these LED tail light bulbs. They are very bright, and did not mess up my flasher.
    http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm
 I used the $14.95 spider bulbs.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:59:27 PM by 6555 »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 09:29:57 PM »
[quote author=]Dick and Pat,
I have the 2000 Marquis (same tail lights, 1999 Lincoln Navigator) I put in these LED tail light bulbs. They are very bright, and did not mess up my flasher.
    http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm
 I used the $14.95 spider bulbs.[/quote]

Did you use white or red bulbs?

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
Well, I confirmed that the driving lights don't work in any switch position.  Looks like I get to go crawling again.

Question on tail lights.  How do you get the lens off???

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 01:56:47 PM »
Quote from: Dick Simonis
Question on tail lights.  How do you get the lens off???

On our Thunders the bulb can be accessed from the engine compartment; it goes into the fixture from the back.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 02:44:11 PM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss

On our Thunders the bulb can be accessed from the engine compartment; it goes into the fixture from the back.

Thanks Joel, got to the bulb OK and it was covered with dust.  Jim suggested pulling the lens cover off and cleaning it and that is to which i was referring.  No obvous way to remove the lens so I figure it must pop off but I don't want to break it.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 04:58:27 PM »
I think the suggestion may be that you remove the entire assembly as if you were going to replace it.   Then wash it.  

Gerald Farris

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 07:08:52 PM »
Dick,
I believe that the taillight assemblies on your coach are bolted into the rear cap. All of the coaches that I have worked on the taillights in the same vintage as your coach (although mostly Marquis) were bolted in with studs (usually three) affixed to the lens assembly and a nut (usually 7/16 inch) that was accessible through the engine hatch. I have never seen one that just pops out without breaking the lens.

Gerald

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 06:26:40 AM »
05 Monterey 4 screws from outside on lens with seperate amber turn. Gerald is right and on solid red lens a  3/8 or 7/16 socket will do the job from the back side of the assembly. It is a complete assy ( no seperate lens and body ).
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Phil Sales

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 02:32:45 AM »
I used the red ones, work fine. I'm told the white ones won't be as bright.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:43:34 AM by 6555 »