Author Topic: Ceramic tile replacement  (Read 14938 times)

Kerry Bennington

Ceramic tile replacement
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »
We are looking at replacing the entire tile flooring on our 2006 Beaver Monterey.  We know it will be big job but like others posting on to this site, we have no spares on board and the design is long sold out.  We now have several broken tiles and outside of using the accent tile theme, we feel we should replace the tiles, get rid of the front carpet and replace the carpet in the bedroom.  We have heard stories of "watch the additional weight" and "the floor tiles are different heights than carpet" etc. but has anyone actually done this job before and could help us with the process, the time required, etc.  We would probably prefer to have an expert do the work as we live in the home and would want to have as little interruption as possible.  Has anyone had experience with a floating floor?  I have heard there are good people in Bend that do this work but have not spoken to them, but did approach Beaver Coach and got a ball park estimate of $10,000.

Gerald Farris

Re: Ceramic tile replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:30:27 PM »
Kerry,
You should also talk to Jim Sizemore at RV Outfitters in Bend.  http://www.rvoutfitters.net/  He is a former Beaver factory employee, and he does excellent work.

Gerald

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:39:56 AM »
We're scheduled to have the carpet and the tile in the kitchen (but not the bathroom) replaced with Armstrong Alterna luxury vinyl tile in May.  The work will be done by Truline RV in Spokane, the same place that did our fridge replacement last fall.  Their estimate is that the vinyl will weigh less than the ceramic and will be a bit heavier than the carpet so the net will be roughly the same.  We have a few cracked tiles in the kitchen mostly from things falling out of cupboards and, although the carpet is still in remarkable shape, we're tried of having to vacuum and clean it.  A quick Swifter on the vinyl should be a lot faster and easier.

Dave Blystone

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:45:54 AM »
we took the tile and carpet out of our patriot i then cut 1/4 in plywood to bring the tile area level with the rest of the floor i used a leveling compound to fill all the seams and bad spots in the plywood  
 wife picked out a new laminet floor at home depot i think the name was "alure"  it comes in 1 ft by 3 ft sheets  very easy to use and it floats on the floor
i think the whole job took about a week  working part time  not a hard job but you do have to think ahead and plan what your going to do
GOOD LUCK
 DAVE AND EDIE
2001 PATRIOT 33
3126 CAT

Keith Oliver

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:49:00 AM »
Kerry:

At the park we are staying in at the moment, there is a dealer bringing some Coaches and encouraging tours.  We walked through them.  One was a 2005, with all tile floors (not a Beaver) and quite a few tiles were cracked.  There is also a fellow here with a similar coach.  I asked about the floors in his.  He took his coach to Indiana, to its factory, for frame stiffening, and reported that was a common theme in that brand of coach.  Just wondering if tile everywhere is such a good idea.

David:

Our carpet in the front is dirty again, too soon after cleaning, so we were in Home Depot and Lowes this week looking at laminate to put in.  We have good looking hardwood in the galley, so won't disturb it.  
Did you need to unbolt the front seats?  How did you treat the edges, where they meet the carpeted walls? Did you need to add a molding?

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 02:51:23 AM »
Since you live in BC, you might consider http://daveandljs.com/.  They have done what you want many times and are not too far away.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 03:48:41 AM »
Bill

Thanks.  I always enjoy seeing what others can do with their coaches, and what a professional comes up with.  The whole point for me, however, is to do it myself, and realize a result that is as good or better than what the pros could do with unlimited access to my chequebook. You see, I don't golf.

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 05:44:53 PM »
A few years back, we had CoachMasters in Bend replace out tiles (had previously done away with the carpet in the living area) with a laminate plank (cork, and then hardwood veneer on top.  It is also a floating floor and we have had no problems with it for the past 5 or 6 years.

I don't recall the specific cost as we purchased the planks and had them do the tile removal and floor laying and I think the total time was about a week so maybe around $4000.

BJ Sprague

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 04:31:08 PM »
Several motorhome friends have recently had new floors installed and I've been fortunate to tour and "ooh and "aah" over the results.  Those who had tile floors replaced or installed also installed radiant heat under the new tile.  They raved about this coach upgrade.    The floor was bare feet comfortable even on a cold camping weekend.  The cost of new tile throughout the motorhome plus the radiant heat system was about $10,000.  

Another friend had laminate flooring installed, including laminate on the vertical walls in the entry area.  It was extremely good looking.  They had the flooring on their living room area slide redone with low pile commercial style carpeting and there was not significant elevation difference - an excellent remodel.

Dave Blystone

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:14:47 PM »
Quote from: Keith Oliver
Kerry:

At the park we are staying in at the moment, there is a dealer bringing some Coaches and encouraging tours.  We walked through them.  One was a 2005, with all tile floors (not a Beaver) and quite a few tiles were cracked.  There is also a fellow here with a similar coach.  I asked about the floors in his.  He took his coach to Indiana, to its factory, for frame stiffening, and reported that was a common theme in that brand of coach.  Just wondering if tile everywhere is such a good idea.

David:

Our carpet in the front is dirty again, too soon after cleaning, so we were in Home Depot and Lowes this week looking at laminate to put in.  We have good looking hardwood in the galley, so won't disturb it.  
Did you need to unbolt the front seats?  How did you treat the edges, where they meet the carpeted walls? Did you need to add a molding?

we didnt use any molding
  yes we took up the seats its a e easy job
i will use some matching calk along the edges to finnish

Kerry Bennington

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 11:26:54 PM »
Thank you all for your posts.  We will be looking into contacting those who you have recommended and also will be looking at laminates and the Armstrong vinyl.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 03:41:39 AM »
Quote from: ]Thank you all for your posts.  We will be looking into contacting those who you have recommended and also will be looking at laminates and the Armstrong vinyl.[/quote

Don't be surprised if your local Armstrong dealer has never heard of Alterna.  It is a high-end product that shows up in light commercial applications.  We recently went to a couple of "consumer" Armstrong dealers looking for a sample and no one had ever seen or heard of it.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 04:40:01 PM »
I just revisited this old thread and thought I should update it.  

In March, 2012, I found some good looking laminate at Costco, so undertook the carpet area replacement.  The laminate I used came in 5"x48" pieces, so it made sense to lay it crossways.  This also worked well in the bedroom, which I did in the summer, after we got home to Saltspring Island.  Removal of the wood cabinetry that is fastened to the floor presented few problems, but I found that one of hte screws holding the little cabinet below the middle of the dassh was very hard to locate.  That screw goes up, from above the gas pedal, through one of hte pits of wood, into the uderside of hte dash.  Once located and removed, that unit came out easily.  Re-installation didn't get that screw, as it was a tight installation without.  Removal of hte little "desk" behind the passenger seat was also problematic, as the Corian desktop is glued in place and needs to be removed to access the screws holding the woodwork to the wall.  breaking the glue proved to be implssible, as the Corian broke first, so I had to learn how to repair Corian.  That proved to be relatively easy, although time consuming.  Crazy glue, followied by wetsanding and polishing, and the result will fool most into believing there never was a break. This break was diagonal across the whole top, making two almost equal sized triangular pieces.

Now a year and a half in, I would do it differently next time.  Either by gluing the laminate or choosing something else.  The problem relates to changes in the dimenions of the laminate due to changes in humidity.  It grows in the damp and shriks back in the dry.  This growth exceeds the amount of buffer space that is available when one side has to meed another type of flooring, as mine does, where the edge of the hardwood meets the front flooring in the middle of the coach.  I made that join as tight as I could, so have a less than 1/16" gap, sometime down to 0.00".  That wouldn't have been a problem if the cabinets could have floated on top of the laminate, but those needed to be securely fastened to the floor, resulting in bulging of th elaminate in teh +90% humidity of fall in BC.  When this occurred last fall, before our trek south for the winter, I was hopeful that the bulge would disappear when we drove south and was pleasantly surprised when it was gone completel by the time we arrived in the desert, after only 4 days on the road.  Once again, being humid here the bulge has returned, and needs to be explained to any visitors.  Luckily, we are only doing tours for people wanting to see the latest improvements, so few in number.  I will optimistically predict the disappearance of the bulges once we return south later this fall.

Pictures of my valences have been posted elsewhere and include a view of the front portion of the new flooring.