Author Topic: Hurricane water pump  (Read 11766 times)

barbhalsell

Hurricane water pump
« on: February 12, 2012, 08:58:15 PM »
So the top of my head is ready to explode.
We think the Hurricane water pump is shot so have pulled it.  Make is a March with model number 809-146- something.  Mostly rubbed off along with the volt,hz and amp info.  I have spent a LOT of time trying to track down exactly which pump this is.  Have done several searches on here hoping to find a model number. Also have been on the Rixen site and the March pump site.
Any help on model number, gpm or anything else that would tell me which pump I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated.
Barb
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 05:00:05 AM by 14 »

Joel Weiss

Re: Hurricane water pump
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:17:35 PM »
Just call the folks at ITR and they will be happy to sell you a new pump directly.  When I thought mine had gone bad I think I was quoted a price of ~$200 for a new one (don't quote me on that since it's been several months and the gray matter deteriorates quickly at this age!)  The fellow to speak to in Tech Support is Kevin.

barbhalsell

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:53:39 PM »
I will be calling Rixen for a price in the morning. But I would also like to shop around for a possible better price. Just need to know what model I am shopping for, instead of a part number from Rixen.
Barb
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 05:01:36 AM by 14 »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 12:25:23 AM »
I thought there was a previous thread that noted that Rixen is no longer a dealer for Hurricane.  That's why I suggested going straight to ITR.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 01:05:18 AM »
Get the specs from ITR and you can shop, but I think everything I have gotten direct from them has been fairly competitive.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 05:02:40 AM by 14 »

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 02:33:34 AM »
If your's is indeed a March, your should be able to figure it out from this chart.

http://www.watcopumps.com/p128_p.html

As long as the flow and fittings are the same it should be pretty easy.

I was digging around looking for a potential replacement for mine but I don't think it's a March.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Dick

barbhalsell

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 04:25:14 AM »
I think you are right Joel. As I said, I have been all over the forums trying to find this info and Rixens stuck in my mind. They do sell a March pump on their site, which may or may not work for the Hurricane. I googled and bookmarked the ITR site and they show a March pump also. I will check with them first thing.

http://itrheat.com/products/hurricane-heating-systems/accessories/

There is also a Johnson pump shown here if that is what you have Dick and Pat?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 05:04:40 AM by 14 »

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 01:44:52 PM »
Quote from: barbhalsell
I think you are right Joel. As I said, I have been all over the forums trying to find this info and Rixens stuck in my mind. They do sell a March pump on their site, which may or may not work for the Hurricane. I googled and bookmarked the ITR site and they show a March pump also. I will check with them first thing.

http://itrheat.com/products/hurricane-heating-systems/accessories/

There is also a Johnson pump shown here if that is what you have Dick and Pat?

I'm pretty certain mine is the Johnson.  While I didn't pull it to check the numbers all the external details match up.

barbhalsell

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »
Well, the Hurricane system went out of production in 2003 but Rixen's does sell parts and does service them. The march pump is $374.77 plus shipping. ITR also has the pump for $375.00. Odds are that a pump manufactured in 99 is actually our problem but we need to be sure for that kind of money. The original system cost $3500.00 and the new system Rixen sells is $4000.00.
I think it may be worth the time to actually GO to Rixen's in Sandy OR and have them go through the Hurricane.
Barb

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »
Quote from: barbhalsell
I think it may be worth the time to actually GO to Rixen's in Sandy OR and have them go through the Hurricane.
Barb

ITR will also perform on-site service at their facility in Vancouver WA.  We plan on stopping by one or the other this summer for a "tune-up."

Dick Simonis

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 04:56:59 AM »
I am curious as to why you think you punp is "shot".  Mag drive pumps are pretty simple beasties but the mag clutch can sometimes be problamatic.  Have you ever spoken with anyone about rebuild kits/parts?  One would think as long as the motor spins there are only a couple of parts left to be concerned about.

barbhalsell

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 09:35:16 PM »
Dick and Pat, like everything else on this coach , trying to figure out exactly how to service and trouble shoot the Hurricane system has been pretty much a shot in the dark. Thinking the water pump repacement would be an inexpensive start ( HAH! ) was step one.
Barb

JimCasazze

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 07:54:13 PM »
One of the best sources I've ever located for just about any type pump is Depco Pump Co, in Clearwater, FL.  They sell virtually any pump I've ever come across in the marine, industrial and RV industry.  They techs are very well trained and can help you find a direct or substitute pump.  If interested try: http://www.depcopump.com/home.htm

barbhalsell

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 04:23:18 AM »
Quote from: Tom and Pam Brown
Get the specs from ITR and you can shop, but I think everything I have gotten direct from them has been fairly competitive.

I would shop around if I had the specs. All of that info is rubbed off of the pump and neither Rixen's or ITR gives you the specs on the websites.
Barb

Joel Weiss

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 05:02:33 AM »
IMHO $350 doesn't really seem all that much for a pump that is rated at several thousand hours and has to handle 170 degree liquids.  We all pay ~$100 or more for water pumps for our RVs that aren't all that reliable and only pump room temp water.  I'm not saying that I would want to pay it either, but I'm not sure it's all that out of line.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:46:13 AM by 6332 »