Author Topic: Hydro Hot Question  (Read 5017 times)

Jim Shirley

Hydro Hot Question
« on: April 28, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »
A red light on the control panel indicates that it is low on antifreeze.  How do you tell how much to add??  Do you just fill it to the top at the
pressure cap. I do have the Camco -100 boiler antifreeze, enough for nine quarts.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Hydro Hot Question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 02:52:01 AM »
You should have an expansion tank with marks on it that say: full level when hot and low.
 Marty

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 07:00:12 AM »
Jim,
The tank below the "radiator cap" should be completely full. If it is low and the expansion or overflow tank is full, you have a leak in the hose connecting the two tanks or the "radiator cap" is not sealing properly. If they are both low, fill the tank below the "radiator cap" and fill the overflow tank to the full when cold mark.

Gerald  

Jim Shirley

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »
Gerald,  thanks for the info.  Four quarts fixed it. Fired it up on diesel had hot water in 15 minutes and water in expansion tank rose about one inch. No visible leaks.

Jim

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 02:03:45 AM »
[quote author=]Gerald,  thanks for the info.  Four quarts fixed it. Fired it up on diesel had hot water in 15 minutes and water in expansion tank rose about one inch. No visible leaks.

Jim[/quote]

Jim,

Watch it so that you are sure that it flows back in when it cools off.

More important, you may have a leak.  I've had the same gallon jug of fluid since we bought it 8 years ago.  I've used about half of it.

Jim Shirley

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 04:36:29 AM »
Thanks Bill, I will watch it.  Jim

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »
Jim,
One of the most common locations for a leak on your system is the hose that runs between the unit and the expansion tank. It can leak coolant as well as air so the unit does not draw coolant back in from the expansion tank as it cools. If this happens, the unit can develop an air pocket in the top that will get larger over time.

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »
Quote from: Gerald Farris
......One of the most common locations for a leak on your system is the hose that runs between the unit and the expansion tank....
Many, or at least some, coaches around 2004 used a plastic coolant drain valve.  Since it drains out the bottom, you don't see if it has a slow leak.  Where metal valves were used it is apparently not a problem.