Author Topic: Fogged window etching?  (Read 4871 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Fogged window etching?
« on: May 05, 2012, 05:21:06 AM »
Finally got most of our list of problems worked on and resolved at BCS in Bend, but ran into an unexpected new wrinkle.  I was going to have Dave Root reveal the fogged entry door window, but Ken here said their guy could do it (he trained Dave), but after inspecting it, they couldn't repair it because apparently the glass inside has been actually etched by the vapor.  I guess I hadn't heard of that, have any of you?  I know the fogging is common and been mulled over here, but the etching?

At any rate, new glass has to come out of Washington and it can take 5 or more days, and we have to boogy this weekend to Elko and points east, so since no one else tackles this sort of issue between here and there, we'll have to get it done when we come back through Bend this summer or fall.  In the meantime will have to live with that lousy window.  Ken tried to find another entire window in stock to resolve it that way, but even though Ty has grabbed up just about every Beaver part out there in the world, they didn't have that one.

Joel

PS. Sure wish they'd bump up the WiFi here... It's cold at night in Bend, just outside their office after closing   ??)

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Paul Schwalen

Re: Fogged window etching?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »
Joel,

Had the same experience with our entry door window glass.  The folks at Suncoast in Hudson, Fl found the same issue with ours.  They said if you ignore the issue for too long the etching will ruin the glass.  In our case they removed the damaged window and made a template and reinstalled it and when we were on our way home a week later we stopped by and they had us in and out in less than 1 hour.

Good luck,

Paul

Keith Oliver

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 02:04:13 AM »
Have you tried a glass shop?  I did the Root repair to my creeping seals issue, in the process I broke one pane of glass.  Aa visit to an ordinary glass shop (windows, mirrors) and I was able to get them to custom cut and then temper a pane to fit.  It only took one day. $75 for one pane (luckily not the tinted pane) of the windows above the couch on the slide side.  Yours won't be tinted, so should be easy to get.  Just take careful measurements, including the radius of the corners.

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:29:46 PM »
Hey, my first post on this website.  Just bought a 2000 Marquis and had it down at Beaver Coach Sales, for some repairs, which weren't done properly by the way.  While in Bend , had all the window seals done by Dave, ( awesome job, one 9 hour day ) I would get him to have a look at the glass, because if it's not too badly etched, he can polish it, so he tells me.

Dave c
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:02:19 AM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »
Awww, now you tell me  ;).  BCS didn't proffer that option, and we are now a long way from the guys that know how to deal with the fogged glass.  Ken at BCS didn't mention the option of polishing out the etching.  He just said they give these jobs to the fellow that trained Dave Root.  I'll try to remember to broach the idea to him when we go back through Bend later this year.

Thanks for alerting me to the option, Dave;  a hearty thanks for your first post, and hope you chime in much more often from now on.
Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:54:40 PM »
Wow, fast reply.  Also I was going to mention that in the process of researching window seals, I talked to the people at Motion Windows in Vancouver Washington.  They will replace any window, any size ( including both sections of a slider ) for a flat rate of $300.00 per window.  That includes all new glass. Not sure where your headed, but they seemed like good people to deal with.

Dave C
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:06:29 AM by 14 »