Author Topic: Battery disconnect switch  (Read 5943 times)

Les Marzec

Battery disconnect switch
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:51:17 PM »
My 03 PT does not have an engine battery disconnect switch and I want to install one.  

Does anybody have a preference?  I like the idea of a knife type that make the installation much easier as there are a number of wires that connect tot he negative terminal.  

What have you done?

Thanks for your input.

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

Edward Buker

Re: Battery disconnect switch
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:27:32 PM »
This switch has to handle starting current so I would use a marine switch like Tim has attached. They make a version for diesels which has larger contacts if I remember right. Most knife switches I have seen have been flimsy with plastic being used as a mount for the metal parts...not a fan of that type.

later Ed

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 03:38:28 AM »
I like Blue Seas products.  Here's a switch that can handle all the current you want to throw it: http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/4

Gil

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 05:12:51 AM »
Les,
The engine starter motor on a C-12 can have a momentary draw of 500 amps, so I would not use any disconnect switch that is rated below 300 amps continuous duty and 500 amps momentary duty. A higher rated switch is even better, but I would consider these to be minimum ratings.

The switch that Tim posted a link to on Amazon would work for house batteries, however I would use a heavier built switch for the chassis batteries. The switch that Gil posted a link to will handle more amps than your starter can ever draw.

Gerald

Robert Mathis

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 03:40:58 PM »
I have used the marine type Perko vaporproof switches on all of my boats, including those with 500HP diesels. They are high quality and if hooked to multiple banks of batteries are "make before break" which insures that you will not fry your alternator.

Bill Borden

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »
Blue Sea makes a On / Off HD battery switch for diesel's, this is what I used for the same appilcation.  Here is a link for you
 http://bluesea.com/category/78/1/products/3000

Don't short cut the cables. They should be 4/0 to handle the currant.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »
I found a knife switch in an RV store.  I put it on the neg side and haven't looked back.