Author Topic: Water heater, coolant loops - need help.  (Read 7242 times)

JimCasazze

Water heater, coolant loops - need help.
« on: May 31, 2012, 02:43:45 AM »
I have just discovered a leak which appears to be coming from the Seaward water heater (12 years old according to label) and have ordered a new unit.  But I believe antifreeze and water are both leaking when under pressure (city pressure or with pump on).  The mixture appears to contain some brownish slush-like crud, but is mostly water with a slight smell of antifreeze.  

Can someone clarify for me, the coolant loops, heat exchangers, etc on the 99 PT?  It appears there is 1) engine coolant loop that runs from the C12 to  heat exchangers (two) located aft of the Seaward water heater (on a shelf above the Hurricane), 2) a Hurricane coolant loop that I'm thinking also runs to the same heat exchanger as the engine cooling loop (but separate from the engine coolant) and 3) a hot (fresh) water loop that runs from the Hurricane to the Seaward and then to the hot water faucets in the coach.  If this is so, I would think the Extended Life coolant is in the engine loop only.  Is that right?  What is in the Hurricane loop?  Is this non-toxic antifreeze?  

I'm know there is another heat exchanger in the Seaward.  Is this the Hurricane coolant or engine coolant passing through it?  I wish there was a nice plumbing diagram somewhere......

Thanks in advance,
J

Dick Simonis

Re: Water heater, coolant loops - need help.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »
I went through the same thing with my Hurricane right after I bought the coach.  The heat exchanger tubes were leaking where they were swagged into the tank. The color of your leaking fluid would give cause for concern though as the Hurricane fluid should be clear and pink or green depending on the antifreeze used.  It sounds like you may have both a FW and coolant leak and the crud is stuff accumulated at the bottom of the HW heater.  When you pull the coolant lines you may not see the "crud".  If you do, the system will need to be flushed.

Fortunately, this is an easy fix once you get the hang of it.  I can now R@R  the Seaward in 15 minutes although the first time was closer to 45 minutes.

The heat exchanger is used by the Hurricane system to heat the hot water.  The two freestanding heat exchangers are on the HW cold water supply and are used to preheat the feed water to the HW heater.  There is no direct connection to the engine coolant at this point.  When you pull the HW heater, you will lose all the Hurricane fluid which is not a problem.  However, the recommended coolant is a propylene glycol that a bit harder to come by so you should get that in advance.

A couple of notes:

When you pull the HW heater, it's held down by 2 U brackets over "ears" on the back and front.  Remove the front one and just pull the heater out and it will slide out of the back bracket.  Then just slide it back in when installing.

Recharging the coolant is a LOT easier than the manual states.  I chatted with a tech at the factory and just ended up filling the resovoir, leave the cap off, and manually ran the circulating pump.  Keep adding fluid as necessary.  I found it useful to run the pump on for 15 sec and off for 15 sec.  You can hear it when it's pumping well.  Also pump the line by squeezing the pump discharge hose.  After it is done, start the Hurricane and let it run for a couple of hours or so periodically and keep checking the fluid.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:44:50 AM by 14 »

JimCasazze

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 04:39:05 AM »
Dick,
Thanks for that info.  Do you recall approximately how many gallons of anti-freeze you used?  I was planning to plug the lines so I don't lose it all and then just top off if that is possible.  Maybe best to flush are refill completely....
J

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:05:18 AM »
In my experience the Hurricane system holds just under 4 gallons of fluid and you must dilute the anti-freeze 50/50 with distilled water.  Refilling the system is recommended every 3-4 years so if you don't know when it was last changed you might want to consider a full refill.  

I'm a little puzzled as to the propylene glycol requirement for the system, however.  There was a lengthy thread here several months ago about whether or not regular vehicle antifreeze should be used or if it should be nontoxic boiler liquid (propylene glycol). I was finally won over by the arguments for regular antifreeze which is what was in mine originally.  I believe all the heat exchangers are double wall so there was little risk.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »
I can't recall the exact amount but it was in the neighborhood of 2 gallons or so.  A lot of the system is not drained by the HW heater R@R so it's less than the total capacity.  In my case, I had to do it 3 time as I thought I could repair the HW heater with epoxy.......mistake.  I did use regular 50/50 antifreeze, same stuff as I carry for the engine.

Reservoir is a bit tough to fill so I used one of those cheap pumps that screw onto the top of the gallon jug, a bit messy but works.

FYI, I bought the Seaward from Jamestown Distributors and did all the work myself in a RV park.  Simple task.  My neighbor with a Hydro-hot on a Marquis had to take their coach to a service center when they had a HW problem.  I'm not an expert but I sure like the simplicity of the Hurricane unit.

barbhalsell

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 04:34:31 PM »
Our Seaward is on it's way from Jamestown Dist. as we speak. Had a little problem with the drain valve outlet. PO had screwed an anode rod in, CROSS THREADED! Wondered why there was so much plumbers putty. Oh well, probably a good thing to replace after 12 years anyway.

JimCasazze

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Ordered the Seaward from Defender on Tues and it's being  held for us at UPS in Branson, MO for pickup on Monday.  Any thoughts on where to get rid of the old antifreeze if at a campground?

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 03:37:16 PM »
If it's not on septic, I would use the toliet.  If it is on septic, I would use the toliet but spread it out over a bit of time.  The anitfreeze is biodegrabale but still my "shock" the bugs with a large enough dose.

For example:

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/hm/hhw/howto/antifreeze.htm