Author Topic: 10k gen. start problem  (Read 12242 times)

Gerald Farris

Re: 10k gen. start problem
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »
Jeff,
Jeff, it sounds like you need new house batteries. As far as I know, Monaco wired all of the 06 and 07 coaches to start the generator from the house batteries. This the exact opposite of a logical way to wire the coach, because when you are dry camped, you deplete the house batteries and have to start the generator to recharge them. But if they are depleted, the generator will not start without the boost switch. If my coach had the generator starting circuit wired to the house batteries, I would rewire it to the chassis batteries.

Gerald

Jeff Watt

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 08:25:46 PM »
Thanks Gerald. From what I have read I have been thinking the batteries are the problem. I concur with you that it seems illogical, as for example the coach has the auto gen start so if the batteries get too low it is upposed to start  the genset, but if the batteries are low then there probably is not enough juice to start the genset.

I am correct that If the genset is started then it will recharge the house and eventually the engine batteries if low. Worst case the genset recharges the house batteries and then the battery boost can be used to start the coach?

Not being to handy, is it a big job to switch the starting circuit to the chassis batteries?

Dwight,

I was going to use the battery boost as the next step. It wasn't a good feeling for a few moments that morning when the genset wouldn't start and I didnt know if the engine would start although I believed (hoped) it would with the boost.

New batteries are likely in order and as they are agm, there is no water to check. I may look at testing but as they are 6+ years old maybe it will be easier just to replace all and then know I have new (and supposedly) good batteries.

Enjoy your new batteries.

Jeff

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 10:26:24 PM »
Jeff,
Your coach has a "Bird System", so anytime that either battery bank is charging, the "Big Boy" solenoid will be activated to tie both battery banks together. Therefore if your "Bird System" is operating properly, the inverter or engine alternator will always recharge both battery banks when they are recharging your batteries.  

Moving the generator starting circuit to your chassis batteries, should not be a big problem, but since all coaches are not wired alike, I would have to trace the circuit to see what needs to be moved, and how much extra wire if any will be required. There is a good chance that there was a house battery terminal close to the generator, so Monaco used it to save the expense of a long cable run to access the chassis battery circuit.  

Gerald