Author Topic: solar panel fuses/circuit breakers  (Read 5332 times)

Les Marzec

solar panel fuses/circuit breakers
« on: May 19, 2011, 02:49:58 AM »
I want to equalize my batteries on my 03 Patriot, but I have not been able to find the solar panel fuses/breaker.  The instructions call for disconnecting the panel. I have looked on all of the panels and cannot find anything labeled solar panel. I think that they are located in the battery compartment. Can anybody give me an idea of where they are located?

Also, my coach is not equipped with master battery shutoff switches.  Has anybody installed these?  I want to add one for the coach and one for the chassis batteries.  I think I know what to do, but if anybody has any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Thanks

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:07:39 AM by 14 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: solar panel fuses/circuit breakers
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 04:39:16 AM »
In my coach there are several silver colored boxes about 4" x 4" x 1/2" located around the bays.  One of these boxes has some words pertaining to solar.  That box has a fuse in the top of it.  That box, in my coach, is located in the passenger side bay in front of the drive axle near the inverter, This may not pertain to your coach, but it may be worth looking for.

During the last 2 months on this Forum, there was a lengthy discussion about installing battery disconnect switches. Try searching for that thread.  Try this thread dated 4/12/2011.

What is using all my electricity?

Also try,  Battery Disconnect  dated 2/16/2010

Larry

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:02:14 AM by 14 »

Keith Oliver

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 04:33:29 PM »
Les:
I now have a shutoff for the chassis batteries, between the negative post and its connections.  I no longer have any fear of losing charge on those batteries, as had been happening alarmingly quickly when I had to store the coach without power for a few weeks.  

The coach already has a cutoff in the DC circuit.  Loren, at Bend, ( lorenc@bendservicecenter.com ) sent me a circuit diagram for a 2000 Patriot Thunder, that being the closest she could find to my 98 Contessa. You should ask her if she has one for your 2003.  
For teh Solar Panel circuit, the diagram shows it conncting to the "Start Boost solenoid" under the bed.
The diagram also shows the "Coach Power sSlenoid", but not the switch that turns power off.  In my coach, and likely in yours, the switch is at the front, in the stairwell, and operates the solenoid, which is also under the bed.   In mine, the two solenoids are together.

My original thread illustrates the problems I have had with the Coach Power setup, and I will update there when I am done finding the answers.

Keith

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:35:50 AM »
I know this'll break your heart, Keith, but Loren Cassidy was a He the last time I saw him  ;D.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Oliver

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »
Joel:

And now I will cancel that trip I had planned to meet face to face.  I am so disappointed.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 10:23:08 PM »
Hey, Keith, it's been 3 years since I was at BCS, and anything can happen.  

I was afraid maybe you knew something I didn't  ;D.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Les Marzec

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 06:47:59 PM »
Thanks for the help. After I did that I replaced the batteries anyway. as the batts were over 5 years old and when I put a load tester on them, they showed to be a little weak.