Author Topic: Third LED Brakelamp  (Read 11989 times)

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
Third LED Brakelamp
« on: January 18, 2013, 11:22:31 PM »
I own a 2007 Beaver Contessa. I am in need or replacing the 3rd LED brake lamp, the one thats horizontal over the engine compartment. It's 17" long and about 3/4 inches wide.

I have the Monaco part# and BCS has them in stock. I balked (for now) at the price of $67 plus s/h.

Has anyone had to replace theirs and were you able to find an alternate vendor for this lamp?

Tx Ken
BAC members since 2006

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Third LED Brakelamp
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 04:40:45 AM »
Try this site  http://vehiclelight.com/
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Richard Cooper

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »
I wonder if I could have a 3rd rear LED brake bar on my toad where it would strobe (on-off-on-off.....etc.) while braking.  This bar would only flash red when I tow mode not car driving.  Is that legal in most states?

Reason I'm interested is that recently someone rolled into my toad at a stop light and caused extensive damage to the front end when the baseplate collapsed.  The total cost was about $2,000 and the person who hit me ran from the scene.  It was covered under uninsured motorists, but would like better warning to those behind me in the future.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
Quote from: Ken Sair
I own a 2007 Beaver Contessa. I am in need or replacing the 3rd LED brake lamp, the one thats horizontal over the engine compartment. It's 17" long and about 3/4 inches wide.

I have the Monaco part# and BCS has them in stock. I balked (for now) at the price of $67 plus s/h.

Has anyone had to replace theirs and were you able to find an alternate vendor for this lamp?

Tx Ken

I had this one on my Holiday Rambler Endeavor, and as soon as we got the Beaver, I bought another one.

http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/stt/stt_53-4400.htm

Here's a picture of it installed on the Beaver.

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 10:52:11 PM »
I dunno about strobe brake lamps Richard, but I've developed the habit of tapping my brake pedal 3 times before actually braking - it flashes an alert.  I do this mostly when anticipating a turn off a highway where the turkey behind me might not be awake and expecting any change from his routine of tailgating and plowing ahead to his destination, which hopefully isn't my rear end.  I do this no matter what vehicle I'm piloting.

I don't always do it when coming to a stoplight as there often isn't time, and we don't try to beat yellows;  unfortunately a lot of people seem to expect us to I guess.  I do check my mirror to see if the guy behind is slowing with me, though, and that habit helped a lot a few years ago when a kid with a learner's permit plowed into our Explorer.  That's happened twice to that poor car, but she's tough;  in both cases all the damage was to the rice-burners' front ends, and it was extensive.  When the kid hit me, I saw he wasn't stopping and instinctively let off my brake while I was still rolling up to the light.  My forward momentum absorbed some of the impact energy, reducing the harm done, at least to my neck and the Explorer.  The Explorer's Reese hitch took most of the hit in both cases, spreading energy to the spare tire in front of it underneath the car;  sort of a built-in shock absorber system I reckon.

We are a bit off Ken's topic, and I hope others helped answer his question, but try the 3-tap braking method if you can't ferret up a strobing brake fixture.  It's a good habit regardless.

Joel

Addendum:  I suppose you could also use the taillight flashing feature on your Smartwheel in lieu of strobes or brake taps.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:26:41 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »
I turn my turn signal on before or just as I start slowing to make a turn.  And I also do this in any rig I am driving.  I figure the blinker is pre-notification and adequate notificaton I am about to be slowing and making a turn.  I see drivers all the time slow and begin to make a turn BEFORE turning on their turn signal.  I ask them under my breath just why the turn signal when they have already started the slowing and turning.  What good is using a turn signal if the turn is already being made BEFORE the turn signal is on?  I already know what is happening.

You want to see drivers running yellow lights?  Go to the Tri-Cities in Washington state.  Many times there are five, yes five, vehicles going through a yellow light.  And yes, I know, five vehicles cannot all make it through a yellow light in five seconds - the usual elapsed time of a yellow light.  Most of the five vehicles are depending on the side street traffic with the green to wait five seconds before entering the intersection.  This is why we practice "defensive driving," especially when we are driving our coaches.

Oh... and a beautiful coach you have there, Mr. Simpson.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:22:36 AM by 9124 »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 03:01:29 AM »
Richard,

I am a fan of a third brake light that strobes on the toad and it is not an expensive addition. Depending on wiring access it can take some time to complete. I believe it is legal as long as it is not a constant strobe and I have used it for most of a year now in many states with no issues. It strobes the third brake light for a short time at the start of braking either in tow or not which I like. The circuit and parts list info along with my install photos are within this post link. Although this was added to a Mini Cooper in in this case, it would work on most any toad. The only issue is on my set up, if the RV engine is not running, the strobe circuit may have insufficient voltage to function properly when the power source is being supplied from the lengthy Beaver coach wiring harness. It always functions fine with the RV engine running so that is not really an issue.

http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1336744936/s-13/highlight-brake+light/#num13

Later Ed
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:07:08 AM by 910 »

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 02:08:25 AM »
I did Jim. Longest I could find was 15". My third brakelight is 17".

BTW, my new LED on left is missing two sets of lights. Will need to have a cold one and discuss in AZ in March. LOL.
BAC members since 2006

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 04:01:51 PM »
What is the dimension between the mounting screws? Are you measuring the outer  edge to edge lenght. The largest I 've found is 15 5/8. A led stop/ turn/ tail can be used as a center brake lamp. Just leave the tail lamp wire disconnected. Did you ask BCS what there lenght dimension is? And ask if it is made by GROTE or ?? whom.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 05:59:08 PM »
On our '90 Marquis we only had to two standard light just above the back bumper.  When I saw the leds on Lamar's back of the coach I liked the visibility of the led lights up high on the coach.  In the process I contracted with Jim N. to install an Led horizontal brake light above the engine lid and 4 - 12" Led lights on the upper side of the coach back.  They are really bright.  Those of you who will be going to the Tucson INTO rally in March can check out all the additions Jim has done on various coaches.  I have seen several other brands of coaches with various angles of the led placements on the backs of newer coaches.  I have also looked for Leds larger than 15" but have had no luck.  As I remember the price of our lights were about $28.00 each with the 15" one being 2 or 3 dollars more.
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 05:17:24 PM »
Thanks Mandy. I also had Jim put on the LED brake lights. I am just wanting to replace the original. Not really needed but just wanting to replace it.
BAC members since 2006

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 05:19:02 PM »
Jim, its 17 inches to the screws. Like you all I could find are about 15 inches log. Just didnt like Monaco's price of $65 for one taillight. Hav enot been able to find any alternate supplier.

Ken
BAC members since 2006

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 04:46:23 AM »
http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=01-5445-71     GROTE web site  They had a stop/tail/turn for a Fontaine trailers.  ( 2" x less than 24" ) you could  cover the old existing hole.  800-628-0809 for distributor carrying it. I didn't call for price or location. Another place to wander thru www.finditparts.com/GroteTruckParts. Sorry can't find BCS lamp they carry for less dinero.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 06:23:28 PM »
Looking for the 17inch third brake light for my 2007 Marquis. Anyone have a source or one for sale? Beaver Coach will not answer my messages. No luck on internet. Thanks for any help!
                                                                         Frank.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 06:37:48 PM »
I found exact replacements here:

https://www.spoilerlights.com/sl-category/rv-third-brake-lights/beaver-third-brake-lights/

I think there is a photo of ours on the website
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."