Author Topic: Air Bag Replacement  (Read 6727 times)

Randy Perry

Air Bag Replacement
« on: February 27, 2013, 05:41:19 AM »
So I'm up around $6K, in the last 6 weeks on maintenance and repairs!  I know I've had a leaky air bag on the right ride (after a couple of days), but since I normally park, air down and level out (while at the house, RV park or campsite), I haven't found the leaky bag a problem.  My question is, what is the typical life span of an air bag?  And, what has the going replacement cost been?

Edward Buker

Re: Air Bag Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »
I investigated getting a spare several years back and the problem was that the air spring (bag) was a proprietary part made for Monaco by one of the big suppliers and was not available through anyone other than Monaco. Cost wise, that spells trouble, and if I remember right the cost was over $600. I do not know what Navistar is doing regarding air springs and your PN. Sometimes these agreements have a life span or Navistar may open up the playing field but I doubt it. Let us know what you find out if you go looking....

This RV suspension part source lists Monaco and may be worth a call to see what they know.

https://www.rvchassisparts.com:8443/aparvchassis/runApp?id=5

This is a larger supplier and the vast majority of air springs are under $300...

http://www.mrostop.com/products/air-springs-bellows/air-springs.html?gclid=CPTEoovO1rUCFQk4nAodwGYA2Q

Later Ed

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:35:29 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing as mine is also a 2000.  I did take a look at them and (I believe) they are marked Goodyear.  I also have a small leak someplace but it could be many differant places other than a bag.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:34:05 PM »
The air springs (bag) normally last over twenty years and most will last the life of the coach. However, just like everything else, some fail earlier than others. Therefore, I would not condemn an air bag until a physical inspection verifies that it is defective. Air leaks are usually at air line connection points.

Gerald    

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »
I was told on our Ford F550 that the airbags with the same type of system that is on our coaches should last for 20 years.  We had a leak and it turned out to be the check valve.  
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Randy Perry

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »
Thanks everyone. I only suspect it to be the air bag based on a comment from the guy who just did my brakes. He said it looks suspect ::) I would of course have the complete air line checked for leaks before a bag replacement, but the way my luck as been going, I was just wondering ;) From what I'm hearing, to replace the right side bag/s would be very labor intensive  :(  

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 09:29:17 PM »
Caution, shops sometimes can and do replace parts that have not failed. Always ask to see any failed part that they claim they replaced. Even the best reputable shops have technicians that worry about their checkbook and not yours.
Not saying tht this is the case here but you could fill a junkyard with the number of parts replaced that have not failed.

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
  • 98 Monterey 36\' 300 Cat 3126
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 01:52:48 AM »
Just as an added item to check for air leaks at the airbag location, Check the ride leveler air valves. Mine, all three, had other than metal bodies. They cracked and leaked air, causing an audible air leak when shut down until the air supply was exhausted. I replaced the valves and solved my problem. Just an idea.
Arden Smith
98 Monterey 36' 3126 300 CAT

Steve Pillon

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
I have had a couple air bags replaced on the rear. The last one I had M & M coach in Chino, Ca do the work very reasonable and honest and works on all the high line coaches, talk to Tim.