Author Topic: Replacement wiper motor for 1993 Beaver Contessa  (Read 6842 times)

James Tyler

Replacement wiper motor for 1993 Beaver Contessa
« on: March 16, 2013, 09:08:54 PM »
We are new owners of a 1993 Beaver Contessa.  Our wipers go on high but not low.  No washer fluid goes to the windshield and the reserve container is full.  I have removed the PC board off the dash and as of today no resolution has been reached. Have had one person check the board. Is there a PC board in the wiper motors?

Would appreciate any guidance that a fellow member might suggest.

Thank you.

Jim Tyler

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Replacement wiper motor for 1993 Beaver Contessa
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 09:54:34 PM »
Jim,
Washer fluid problem is probably a bad pump. Mine was located at the reservoir. I replaced mine with a unit from Auto Zone. As to motor problem,I'd check to see if you are getting voltage to the motor. Could be a bad switch.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

James Tyler

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:15:43 AM »
Motors work on high but not on low. Pilot side and co-pilot side have individual motors.   If the board is OK  then we neeed to find a service person who is better acquainted with this situation. We are in the Castle Rock area of Colorado.

Thank you about the fluid pump, I will check that out.

We have the 1993 Beaver Contessa Orleans 40 foot diesel.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 05:55:44 PM »
Jim,

Wasn't aware of the dual motor setup. Assuming that each motor has an independent switch, then problem likely to be in common area. If single switch controls both motors, it would be my primary suspect. Wiper motor speed is normally controlled by applying either voltage or ground to the appropriate motor inputs. From what you state, it sounds like you are losing the low speed signal from a common source, apparently the PC board you referred to.  Any PC  board/circuit in the motor would be the same for both so I don't see how that could be cause.

You may want to access the connector at the wiper motor and, using a volt meter or light, see what you are getting for voltage or grounds when on high and low speed. If you hook voltmeter/light up to ground as common and don't see any signals when selecting speeds, ground is probably being switched, rather than voltage. Then hook up your mete/light common to 12V.

Not sure how your washer motor circuit is wired. On mine, pressing the washer switch turns the wipers on low and activates the pump. However, i can also activate the pump when the wipers are on high. You may want to try that if you haven't already. That would tell you that pump power is dependent on the wipers being activated. If the pump doesn't run on either setting, I'd focus on the  pump. You can use a voltmeter/light to see if you are getting power to it, before replacing it.
Hope this helps some,
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:57:19 PM »
Jim,
Back in that era Beaver did a pretty god job with the schematics and documentation. Many items were covered in the manuals and it might show the wiper control board and even perhaps a PN or source. I had an 89 Contessa and the wiper motor speed control board I think was right behind the left angled dash panel where the wiper controls came through the dash. If I recall it looked like a custom unit but there was likely some information on it as to who made it. BCS in Bend may have one or know about it. I believe that the PC board in the dash did all of the speed control so if you can run it somehow with access to the wires that go to the wiper motor you could see what voltage the board puts out on high and then on low. If no voltage on low then the problem must be the PC board.

Later Ed

James Tyler

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 12:19:48 AM »
Thank you both for responding with good information and helpful tips.  Am hoping that the gentleman in Castle Rock, CO will understand the problem, he has the PC board,  and I will relate your suggestions to him.

We were grateful to receive all the manuals when we purchased the RV.  New world for us with a lot to learn.

Thank you,

Jim