Author Topic: Side Window Sealant  (Read 12666 times)

Gary Winzenburger

Side Window Sealant
« on: March 30, 2013, 09:21:59 PM »
We just purchased a 1997 Marquis Garnet and love it so far, but have some questions that I hope you all can help us with. One of the side windows has the interior, sealant bead creeping inward from all 4 sides. These are duo-pane windows. Is there an easy fix to this, or will the entire unit have to be taken out and/or replaced? Also, what could be causing this movement? I can send pictures if needed. Thanks for the great, support network this club offers!

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: Side Window Sealant
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »
Gary, the windows creeping seal has to be removed then repaired.  Good news it can be done, bad news it will eventually affect the others.

I had mine done in Hudson fl. By suncoast designers and the specialize in this work.  Cost is $200 for first window then $150 for any other.  They have water and 50 amp service at no charge.  I had six done in less than 5 hours.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 10:16:46 PM »
Quote from: Tom and Pam Brown
Gary, the windows creeping seal has to be removed then repaired.  Good news it can be done, bad news it will eventually affect the others.

Oh my, I didn't realize it was contagious...is there a vaccine available for the other windows.  I have one with this illness and we wouldn't want it to become a world-wide pandemic.

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 10:40:58 PM »
Tom and Pam have it right - it's spreading to other windows, and one has even "clouded" a bit. Still wondering what caused this "illness". I wondering if road vibrations might be the culprit, but this coach hasn't a lot of miles on it! I don't want to pay for repairs, and then have it happen again! Thanks Tom

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 10:56:33 PM »
It's the nature of the beast.  Sealed double-pane windows weren't really made for travel.  The entry door window is subject to more abuse than the others as the door shuts and is occasionally slammed;  that window's seal is a common failure, but obviously the others get bounced around and vibrated too, on the road.  While in more humid climates, moister air can get between the panes via a micro-leak;  then the first cool outside environment and the moisture condenses out on the cold side, with the tell-tale fog.  Heck, one big window in our house has been replaced twice for leaking seals, and it isn't rolling down rough roads (well, not until it's headed back to the manufacturer).

Don't expect too many capable repair shops across certain areas of the USA, so seek one out now before you hit the road much.  We had to live with our fogged entry one for 6 months last summer, because over our 6000 mile trip, there weren't any techs qualified for that specific job until we returned to Bend, where there are at least two.  Tom is in the ballpark, price-wise.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 11:03:14 PM »
Gary, the windows that came in the coach were made bySSI and is the culprit.  They vacuum sealed the windows and the new process is a pressure type seal which will fix the need for further repair.
As far as repair capabilities these folks use the same method they use on the west coast.  The do all the repairs for lazy days and others and come highly recommended.

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 11:21:47 PM »
Tom,
Being we live closer to Florida (Nashville) than Oregon, we'll probably head south to Hudson next winter and stay there awhile. We'll have all the time in the world by then!!

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 12:01:11 AM »
Gary, if you go when it's cold up north you will need to make an appointment. I went in late August last year and there was no wait!

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 02:49:36 AM »
Thanks everyone - great advise. Sounds like Florida in August may be our first full celebration of retirement!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 03:25:26 AM »
Ummm... hot and humid comes to mind.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Oliver

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 06:17:05 AM »
Gary:

You have a very minor case of creeping seals, if it only affects one window.  After 16 years, you are unlikely to see it affect any others, or to get any worse on the one it is affecting.  When you eventually decide this is an issue that Must be dealt with,  check this site: http://www.daverootrvglassrepair.com/
Dave is a real nice guy and will talk to you on the phone.  He will send you one of his kits if you want to try the self repair, or if you are anywhere his traveling repair truck is going to be, you can get your window fixed in tune with your travels.
I had 17 windows that had creeping seals when I bought our Contessa, 2 years ago.  I bought a double kit from Dave and on our first long stay I got 15 fixed without seriously impacting my time for relaxation and other pursuits.  I finally got around to the last couple a few weeks ago, when Dave's traveling guys were in my neighborhood and I could get some more of the "glue" (caulking) that is part of the secret to a successful fix.
the level of skill required is low and Daves instructions are thorough, you just need a helper to hoist the bigger windows down and back up again.
Someone mentioned this being a disease, but there I think the confusion is with blown seals, where the windows get foggy.  Since yours are creeping, but not getting foggy, there is no reason to expect this to affect the rest of your windows after 16 years.  They would have shown up many years ago.  Blown seals can start at any time, especially if the window is mistreated.  If none of yours are blown, chances are you won't have a problem that way.

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 03:31:25 PM »
Kieth,

I had not suffered the creeping seals over the last 4 years of ownership of a 2002 Marquis with one exception. For some reason, just in the last year, the small slide window within the large window on my driver side, started having the seal creep. I think my windows have never been pulled and redone but I cannot be sure of that, so sometimes it appears that a latent issue can occur but like you say, it is not the normal route for this problem. My question is, can the small window be pulled without removing the whole frame? Thought you might know having had these windows out if that was possible. I had not really looked close at that possibility.

later Ed

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 04:08:38 PM »
Ed.

I watched the process when they repaired mine.  I would say no, the only way to remove that window ismformthe whole window to be removed to get it out.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 04:25:08 PM »
We had ours done here. In Elkhart IN. They have hook ups you can use. We only needed one window, so it was about 3 hours. $225.00.

http://duncansys.com/fogged-glass/
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gerald Burns

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »
I had three done last year at the RV Fog Doc in Searcy Arkansas.  Have power and water available and will put a temp. cover on the window opening while they are fixing it.  He has a mobile unit that goes to a lot of the FMCA Rally's.  He is just off Interstate 40 and gets a lot of people stopping by.  Just call for an appointment.  Very competitive prices, very clean and great service.