Author Topic: Brighter Headlights  (Read 14717 times)

Tom Rogers

Brighter Headlights
« on: November 18, 2009, 02:12:10 PM »
Our '06 Monterey headlights certainly need to be enhanced.  Has anyone found an easy replacement bulb or total change out?  I use the lower "spot lights" which help, but it would be comforting to use the head lights to make driving more comfortable and safe..
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:12:30 AM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Brighter Headlights
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 02:13:27 AM »
I use Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs in my headlights. They are considerably brighter than OEM halogen bulbs, DOT legal, and do not draw excess amperage.

Sylvania makes three types of headlight bulbs, the standard halogen, the next brighter is the Silverstar bulb, and the brightest is the Silverstar Ultra.

Gerald  

Jeff Watt

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 04:29:12 PM »
Regarding changing the bulbs, I was thinking of putting in better bulbs BUT how in the H### do you do it?

I don't have chimp like arms and can't reach them from the ground; opening the genset drawer doesn't help either. The headlight assembly is attached from behind so it can't come out.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks,

Jeff

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 05:23:55 PM »
Check your voltage at the headlights. Some have replaced the wiring to the headlights with a larger wire size to increase the voltage to the headlights.

Jeff Watt

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
Not to worried about wiring (yet); I thought I would look at replacing the bulbs as suggested by Gerald, however I just can't reach them  :-/

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 07:30:18 PM »
Jeff,
The easiest and most effective modification that you can do to your headlight system is to install relays in the LF electrical bay to increase the voltage to the headlight bulbs. This can be done in about 15 minutes for 10 to 15 dollars in parts, and it will increase the headlight brightness more than replacing the bulbs if your headlight wiring is still original.

Replacing the bulbs also helps, but the relay installation is the first modification that should be done. Some owners also run new 10 gauge wiring from the relays to the headlight bulbs, however I do not think that this is necessary in most cases. There are several other threads on this forum that discusses this modification. Here is one; http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1314123849/s-all/

To replace the bulbs, the headlight assemblies will have to be removed. They can be unbolted from under the coach, however it is a stretch to reach them.  

Gerald
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:42:01 PM by 235 »

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »
I have a '04 Monterey with the Ford Navigator headlamps. I have replaced the bulbs on these lights to some of the lights discussed in this thread. I did not have to remove the headlights to replace the bulbs. I crawled up in behind the front valance to reach the headlight fixtures. You need to take a hold of the back of the socket on the headlamp, and rotate it counterclockwise about 20 degrees, and then pull it out of the headlight fixture. Replace the bulb and reverse the steps to reinstall the light bulb socket into the headlight. DO NOT Touch the bulbs with your fingers as the oil in your skin will cause the bulbs to fail earlier. Do not know if the '06 Monterey uses the same headlight fixture, but looking at the pictures I have seen, they look the same.  Also install the aux relays last fall, but have not done any night driving since then to see if it made any improvement, but the voltage on the terminal in the electrical bay increased from 9.5V to just over 12 volts.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:19:48 AM by 14 »
Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler

Jeff Watt

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion about the relays Gerald.  I'll probably look into changing them, even though I really try to minimize night time driving. However, when I head South in February, night driving will be required, if I want to make any distance/day.  

The reason I got into this topic was, Canadian Tire has a sale on the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs, and as I had put them into my daughter's car, I thought I'd put them into the PT.  Then I got looking at it, and it became quite evident that changing them was not going to be an easy fix.  Then I thought about what would happen if one blew while driving.  How do I easily change the bulb?  The thread lets me know that they are Ford fixtures and bulb class, and I can't remember having to change a bulb because it blew in one of my Ford vehicles in years.

I'll take Harvey's suggestion re. crawling in behind the valance and see if I can change them. Knew about not touching the bulb.

Thanks,

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:23:26 AM by 14 »

Robert Mathis

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 01:38:20 PM »
Jeff, you might also check the aim, while you are changing the bulbs. My lights were terrible, and I spent most of a day, and all of my patience, tyring to correct the aim on the headlights on my Contessa. This required removing the screws holding the mickey mouse aluminum strap mounts in place, repositioning the headlight assembly and replacing the screws. I never did get the aim just right, but it got a little better. If you decide to try it, send me a PM, and I'll try to describe how to aim the lights. You also need a really skinny person, with really long arms, to reach the screws, while you hold the headlight assembly in place.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:24:52 AM by 14 »

Ken Buck

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 02:04:45 PM »
After looking at all the other nice features and well built items on my rig, the headlight mounting is a decided disappointment. Every time I look at mine I wonder if that was some kids first day or second day on the job when he mounted the headlight assembly.

Ken

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »
Interesting that so many folks have trouble accessing the bulbs to change them. The headlight assemblies on both my 2002 Thunder and now the 2006 Thunder are both out of the Ford Navigator. I never had to disassemble anything. On the back of the headlight assembly was/is a cap similar in size and shape to those found on laundry detergent jugs these days. The cap threads on/off and serves as weather protection. Beneath it is the bulb which requires pulling off the wire harness and then turning the bulb about 1/4 turn to remove it. Aiming the headlights is not really that big a chore either. The assemblies have, on the top and on the left side a plastic hexoginal stem that is turned to adjust up/down (the one on top) or left/right (the one on the left side). I set the aim points on my garage door with tape and then had my friend and neighbor Marty (who is built in such a manner as to make it much easier for him to get under the rig) turn the appropriate stem to aim the headlights.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 03:59:52 PM »
I think that the headlights on a 2007 Contessa differ in the design of the headlight assembly as well the mount from the 2006 Monterey that the question was about. The 2006 Monterey uses the headlight assemblies from the 1999 to 2002 Lincoln Navigator complete with their adjusting brackets. These headlights were used in most Beaver coaches from 2000 to 2006. The design of the pocket in the front cap varies a little in blub accessibility, however all of them are adjustable from underneath that I know of if you are skinny.

Gerald

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »
The key  WORD to head lamp adjustment is being Skinny
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Robert Mathis

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 05:40:23 PM »
I wish I had the older style assembly. Mine has absolutely no adjustment srews. It's just jury rigged with aluminum strapping.

Ken Buck

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 07:16:43 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures of the quality installation on the 07 Contessa. Bulb removal and replacement is a simple twist and pull. I find no adjustment screws on mine, same as Robert says.