Author Topic: satellite receiver  (Read 8578 times)

Fred Nikirk

satellite receiver
« on: June 02, 2013, 07:29:44 PM »
Ihave a 2001 pt with a datron dbs-3000 dish. what receivers are compatle with this unit

thank you
fred nikirk

Joel Weiss

Re: satellite receiver
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:07:13 AM »
In order to operate automatically the Datron dishes require a low speed data port on the receiver, which I don't believe is supported any longer by either Dish or DirecTV.  I know it is possible to use them in a semi-automatic mode without the data port, but I'll let someone here explain how to do that.  We replaced our old Datron with a Winegard Trav'ler when we bought the coach.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 01:35:07 AM »
Fred, You need an early RCA DRD430RG receiver or similar. I think there is also an early Sony that will work. I have the RCA and it's been working fine for the last 6 years. The only draw back is it won't find the satellite automatically so to speak. Daytron is no longer in business so there is no support or upgrades for new satellites. The dish will only work with standard definition and only Direct TV. To make it work you have to unplug the low speed data port and punch in the elevation 4 degrees lower than what is called for at the location you are at on the controller. Then switch the button on the controller from stow to view. The dish will stop at the first satellite that it finds. If that is not the correct satellite, move the switch back to stow and then to view again. The dish will stop at the next satellite. Continue that until it finds the correct one ( the 101). It will usually find the right one in 5-10 minutes. Hope that helps.
Marty

steve zannella

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 02:15:49 AM »
Fred
I don't know if this helps you but I had a similar problem with directv, the newer receivers don't have a data port so my choices were to change the dish that didn't need a data port to locate a satellite $1500 or use an old hughs receiver that has a data port link with a new receiver.  I connected the data link to the satellite box to find the correct satelllite and connected the two receivers with an A/B switch to the satellite coax. Works like a charm and saved a lot of money.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 05:16:53 AM »
Maybe this explains a little better.

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 05:26:20 AM »
resized photo. click on it to enlarge.

Fred Nikirk

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 01:44:07 PM »
Thanks for all the help. I found a sony receiver just like the original on ebay brand new in the box with a acess card for 35 gets here tomorrow
thank you
fred

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »
We have a couple of Sonys Model SAT-B2. If anyone can use, contact me.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

John Fearnow

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »
In an earlier post on this thread, Steve Zanella mentioned use of an A/B switch..  Do you have a part number and/or source of supply.  I haven't been able to find one that works.  am I correct in understanding that the input side of the switch is the sat antenna coax and the A/B outputs are coax cables to my old RCA receiver to find the sat and then switching to the new receiver Diredtv sent me as a replacement.  Currently I have to manually remove the sat antenna cable from the old receiver to the new(er) replacement receiver which works but is cumbersome obviously.

Thanks
John Fearnow
2002 PT C-12

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 12:35:10 AM »
John,

This is not a normal satellite system switch application and the frequencies are quite high so there is no market causing a suitable one to be made. Your port designation for the AB switch sounds right to me for what you are trying to do. In general look for an all metal AB switch with the highest frequency rating that you can find and you may get lucky. Your best bet is to duplicate the switch that Steve has if you can contact him. I did a search for good high frequency RF AB switches and could not find one that I could recommend. The switches I saw were up to 900 MHZ and I think the frequency output from the antenna LNB going to the receiver are about 950MHZ to about 2.1 GHZ. Good luck on the hunt....

Later Ed

steve zannella

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:33:56 PM »
John

The A/B switch I used is Radio Shack 15-1217 Goldseries 75-ohm Coax High-Isolation A/B Switch and found it on EBAY. FYI a few are currently listed for about $20. The satellite cable goes to the tv out connector and each receiver is connected to A and B connectors. I wasn't sure if it would worked in reverse but it does. It works great with no loss of signal quality.

Steve

Bill Sprague

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 06:54:05 PM »
I went through a couple A/B switches before I gave up.  My theory is that they are designed for the volts/amps for the TV signals.  In my DirecTV system, there is some level of power sent from the receiver to the LNB and the switches I used, on disassemble were "burned out".  The wires inside those switches are tiny!  Whatever amount of voltage sent to the LNB would overwhelm the A/B switch.

I solved my problem with quick connect adapters from Radio Shack.  I routed the wires so it was easy to unplug and plug to the second source.  

John Fearnow

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try Bill's approach and use an adapter since I can reach the cable easily.  This is just an interim set up in any event to avoid having to make a rush decision on a permanent replacement sat tv system.  The Datron 3000 dish is on its last legs.  the plastic sprocket connecting the belt to the elevation drive shaft disintegrated.  I "fabricated" a replacement using a PVC fitting but I don't think it will last very long.

John F