Author Topic: Turn signal failure  (Read 3059 times)

Robert Mathis

Turn signal failure
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:39:25 AM »
My turn signals and flashers have been failing the last few days. They blew the fuse a couple of times, and then yesterday, they just stopped working, without blowing the fuse. Later in the trip, they started working again. Today, same thing happened, not turn signals, no flashers, fuse is fine. When I turn a signal on, the side cameras do not key up either. The entire thing is dead.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:14:44 AM by 14 »

Edward Buker

Re: Turn signal failure
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:39:43 AM »
Robert,

It sounds like you may have an intermittent wiring issue causing a short or open at times. Usually I would start the hunt where the connections were made to tie in the toad lights on the RV wiring harness. If the toad was also connected when you had the problem I would check the front connector on the toad. I start there because it is exposed wiring and not factory installed. Next I would check the turn signal switch and flasher unit wiring connections there. You should have 12 v coming into the turn signal switch and when activated it should also be coming out on a feed wire to the left or right turn signals.  I think the side camera is looking for an active voltage input from the turn signal switch which it should get once the reason for the turn signal not working is figured out.

Later Ed

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »
I had that intermittent turn signal failure on my Jeep and it drove me nuts.  Finally, I changed all the bulbs one at a time and found the RF bulb was the culprit...it still worked but occasionally would pop the fuse.  It's possibly some contaminant was in the base, somehow the bulb would bridge both contact, don't know what for sure but the problem is gone.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »
I unhooked the toad, and it happened again after that, I will check the bulbs, thanks. I got a voicemail from tech support at Monaco, and he said it might be a bad flasher relay. I will try to find one today and replace it. We are in Shelby, Montana on the way home and have at least 4 1/2 days drive to get home. I hate driving without turn signals. The brake lights do work.