Author Topic: Cable from the OTA antenna  (Read 4541 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Cable from the OTA antenna
« on: August 06, 2013, 05:50:20 AM »
When the PO of our coach changed the boat anchor to an HD Samsung, the OEM Sony DVD/VCR/amplifier was removed, but not the cables.

When we installed the Winegard Trav'ler DirecTV dish, we just ran an HDMI from the DirecTV receiver to the back of the TV. Until now we have never had OTA reception. Now that DirecTV is requiring that we sign up for DNS service for an additional $15.00 per month, plus a separate receiver, I have decided to try to hook it up.

Inspecting the cabinet, there is a snakes nest of cords and cables. One such cable coming in to the cabinet is labeled "antenna in" and then it is split to Bdrm TV, Front TV. We no longer have a bedroom TV, so; 1) do you think the "antenna in" is for the OTA?, and 2; if it is, can I remove the splitter and just plug it in to the back of the TV?

If all of that works, any idea how to get the TV sound to go through the ceiling speakers like the radio does?

Thanks,

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Cable from the OTA antenna
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »
I'm no expert, but here are my thoughts:
Just hook the Antenna In coax cable to the TV.  But putting a DVD/amp/receiver/recorder or similar unit(s) between the coax cable and the TV would provide versatility, the improved feed of HDMI cables, and you can feed the audio to the existing speakers and subwoofer from that amp.  Barring such a receiver, there may be speaker ports on the back of the TV into which the various speaker wires can be plugged.  Among the "snakes" should be such speaker and subwoofer wires that came from the old amp.  

But the TV may not allow direct speaker connections since it would require extra power to drive the external speakers. Plus the TV probably would feed any such audio-out ports with a constant value, and its volume control wouldn't work on the external speakers.   If so, you'll need an amp like I mentioned into which you can hook the speaker wires, and feed sound from the TV to it with a single Optical (digital) audio wire - the best option for quality - or multiple RCA audio wires.

Keep in mind that off-air reception usually requires you to press the little black signal amplifier button, aka "booster" switch, on the white wall plate commonly found inside the audio component cabinet on the curbside wall, but location can vary in different rigs.  A green lamp on the wall plate lights when the amp is on.  Press it off when not using off-air antenna reception (OTA).

Joel
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:18:32 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »
Last winter while in AZ I upgraded to a 42 samaung and changed out to a sony home theater system I used all the existing built in speakers except the woofer the system works great the new TV is fantastic and we now have just one remote up front. We did pull out a lot of wire from the PO installed system.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 03:28:12 PM »
Stan,

DNS service from Direct TV uses satellite signals like your current Direct TV. It allows you to choose NY or LA channels that are beamed nationally. I do not think that you need an OTA antenna input to do this. You may still want OTA antenna availability and if so you would turn on the rooftop antenna amp and then look for an RG59 cable with a strong signal or actually find the cable that comes out of the antenna power button unit and trace it to see where it goes. As far as removing a splitter, that is fine if you do not need two signals to be sent and only need one. As far as speakers go you could conceivably use those speakers but you would need to obtain a speaker switch box and add a lot of wring to put it in a convenient place to tie everything together. My guess is that there are better audio and speaker options that could be added as a separate unit near the TV with less wiring headaches and would give a better result.

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 04:09:07 PM »
Quote from: Stan Simpson

When we installed the Winegard Trav'ler DirecTV dish, we just ran an HDMI from the DirecTV receiver to the back of the TV. Until now we have never had OTA reception. Now that DirecTV is requiring that we sign up for DNS service for an additional $15.00 per month, plus a separate receiver, I have decided to try to hook it up.

DirecTV DNS service does cost ~$15/mo but it definitely doesn't require a separate receiver.  It is a programming change in your receiver that permits it to tune to channels around ~390 that are not accessible to you otherwise.  Also, no one at DirecTV can "force" you to acquire DNS; it's something we have so our DVR can remain programmed to the same channels regardless of where we are.

If you are not aware, there is an OTA tuner that integrates with most DirecTV receivers and permits you to list local stations in the regular DirecTV programming guide and even to record them using your DirecTV DVR.  No monthly subscription is required and the purchase price of the tuner is only ~$50.  You can read about it here: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=am21&d=directv-am21n-off-air-dual-tuner-%28am21%29&sku=8546300063

Keith Oliver

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 05:20:49 PM »
If you don't appreciate thread hijacking, ignore what follows.

1 What does DNS stand for?
2 Is this the same (from Direct TV) as an earlier thread discussed re Shaw Direct - ie with newer Shaw dishes, as I understand it, you may be unable to continue with Shaw service as you move around, so there must be something else added, like ?DNS?
3 I have the same rats nest of cables.  My OTA wing antenna needs the amplifier located above the door turned on to operate, but when I tried it in El Centro all it pulled in were Spanish language stations, in Palm Desert a small number of English language stations, but none that would get me using it.  All in, I decided it was a total waste of time.  I would rather read a book or spend my evenings trolling through forums like this one.
4 My neighbour at Saltspring showed me his home built HD antenna, made from a few wire coat hangers.  It pulled in about 30 stations, and included were all of the major networks plus all of the local stations.  Way better than what was available before the switch to HD.  Plans came off the internet, although I didn't bother to find out where.
5 As a boater, I would never rely on the old TV.  Although too heavy for Motorhomes, it isn't shaped the way an anchor needs to be shaped for adequate holding, and is too bulky to carry around.  The old block from a 57 Chevy, OTOH makes a good base for installing a mooring bouy on the beach.  My old front TV went to the recyling, the old bedroom TV now decorates a table in teh family room, where it has never been hooked up (like the bedroom in the MH, where it never got turned on).  

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 07:48:45 PM »
DNS stands for 'Distant Network Service'. All DirecTV receivers are programmed for the local channels of the national networkds to the receiver's service address. So, since I'm in Rockford IL, I have their ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and PBS (and CW) channels activated on my plan.  13, 17, 23, 10, respectively. When I leave home (in the past) I take one of my two receivers in the house and plug it into the Winegard antenna in the coach. Local channels cover about a 200 mile radius, so I have been camped in Goshen, IN and still been able to get the Rockford local channels for the national networks. I have been as far as Albert Lea, MN and received them. Beyond that, DirecTV will not get the signal. Of course all other cities have their own local channels for the national networks, but unless DirecTV has them switched on, you can't receive them.

As an alternative, they offer DNS which allows you to get the national networks, but only their "feeder" stations in New York and California. So they program those channels into your receiver.

What precipitated all of this was the Chicago Blackhawks playing in the Stanley Cup Finals in June. We left home on June 6th, and at that time, prior to the finals, the games were being shown on NBC Sports Network, which is not local, and can be received anywhere if its in your programming package, just like A&E, Food Network, etc. Well, NBC switched the 5th game of the semi-final with the LA Kings to the national network..NBC..and took it off of NBC Sportsnetwork. So, here I am, in Plankinton, SD..UNABLE to get the game!! I called DirecTV and asked them to switch my service address to the address of the campground in SD. Lo and behold, they tell me they no longer do that. You have to establish an RV account with DNS.

Ended up going to a local sports bar, that had their local NBC on, and watched the game. Since the game was in LA, it was on late, so those folks were pretty cool to stay open late and cheer on the 'Hawks with me and Becky. The Hawks won and advanced to the finals...where ALL of the games were on NBC. Fortunately, the owner of Yellowstone Valley Inn and RV Park in Custer, SD was a transplanted Chicagoan and the games were on in the bar. We watched our beloved Blackhawks win THE CUP for the 2nd time in 4 years!!

So, when we got back home, I first inquired about the DNS with DirecTV, and was told its an additional $15.00 per month. I started thinking of the OTA which we have never used, as a way to get local network TV, so next year I will be able to watch a Blackhawks repeat!  :) Which lead me to the issues of trying to hook it up. We rarely watch network TV, even at home, so this is just a precautionary measure.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad