Author Topic: LED motion scare light outside coach door  (Read 10338 times)

Richard Cooper

LED motion scare light outside coach door
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:03:26 PM »
Does anyone use the exterior speakers on their coach?  Mine don't even work.  But, even if they did, they would be annoying to other campers I think.  I don't want to play music that high up on my coach.

I've noticed that some people have motion detector security scare lights outside their front door and I wonder if I could retrofit such a device where my right speaker is.  And maybe even put a light fixture where my left speaker is.  Has anyone else done this?

The outside fixture I located is round and can be black.  I didn't do the measurements on it yet, however.  I've read where you can replace the light bulb in it with a high lumens LED bulb.

I have a security light already, but it is yellow.  See picture --- it's between the 2 speakers.

Here is the security light I was thinking may work.  Or will it be too difficult to run wires to these speakers?    http://www.starlightsinc.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=12&idcategory=4

Richard Cooper

Re: LED motion scare light outside coach door
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on this that would be helpful to me?

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 11:29:16 PM »
Richard,

There are 12v security motion sensing lights that could replace your existing one. You would leave the on switch in the on position so that it is powered for night time. Running additional wires to existing areas like the speakers would be difficult at best. You could find where those speaker wires are fed from an audio source and disconnect them. Then you can connect them to supply 12V to this point in the coach. The wire size would work for an LED light.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:45:01 AM by 910 »

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 08:05:10 PM »
We have the same set-up on our 1997 Marquis, and we do use the outside speakers with the awning out, and volume down, so I don't think we offend too many neighbors, We also don't "broadcast" much past 10pm. If they don't like George Thorogood, or Pink Floyd, too bad, so sad!!

Sean Donohue

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:38:16 PM »
Gary, come park next to me...

Richard Cooper

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 09:39:40 PM »
Dark Side of the Moon sounds good with whats inside the coach -- Bose with subwoofer.  

Maybe I'll just get my outside speakers fixed.

Richard Cooper

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 03:33:16 AM »
My outside amber light has gone out on me and new fluorescent bulbs are not the solution.  I need a new ballast.  I would prefer a light with the clear lens and not amber.  The very first picture in the original post is my fixture.  I know I can buy a new ballast and get a replacement lens too.  But for the cost of all that I can buy a new fixture which would do what I now want.

Forget about my original post ideas.  What I want now is to replace this fixture with a clear lens LED motion detecting fixture and here's what I found that appeals to me:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/starlights-smart-light-1000-black/67304#readreviews

Except that the LED bulb that comes in it is not bright enough.  I think it's a 200 and wonder if I can get a 450 --- at least I thought I saw that it was available at the Starlights website.

Here's the problem.  Removing the old fixture will reveal the difference between old and new paint as well as the outline and some sealing caulking.  Even removing and cleaning it up won't quite do the trick.  The new fixture is about 2.75 inches shorter in width as the old one, but taller.  Is it possible to buy a plate in metal or rubber or something to go between the new fixture and the coach body so that it doesn't show the previous outline in paint?  How would you do it if it were yours?

Richard Cooper

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 03:36:17 AM »
Do you think this new fixture will be a good solution for me on my 2001 Marquis?

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 04:48:51 AM »
Richard,
Visit the Marine store on the bay in Newport.  It is to the left at the end of the piers.  There is a huge lot filled with crab traps prior to the store.  They had a few lights there when I visited the store a couple of weeks ago.  They are very helpful and you may find something that fits your original size and is 12 volt.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 07:17:01 AM »
Richard,

Most anything can be done if the new light will fit the space without interfering with anything else like the awning frame etc. There are black matte or gloss finish plexiglass materials as well as polymers like Starboard where you can have a plate made that is the footprint of the old light and you can then mount the new light on it. If you like the light and it does what you want then it should be able to be mounted. Many glass shops also handle the plastics, the starboard material can be bought at west marine and most any finished carpenter could make the plate using that material.

Later Ed

Richard Cooper

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »
OK and thought this was true.  I think I will like this newer fixture as it has the features I've been wanting.

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
Richard,

If you need a plate just be sure that any material that you choose to use is rated for outdoor use UV wise. You may find when you get the old light off and clean the surface that you do not need a plate and just a couple of stainless screws with a little sealant under the head can seal the old holes if they are visible. I had not been into the old light on mine but thought that it was incandescent. I think it is the same one that you have. That may allow for a conversion to LED and then just leave it on as an alternative given they use so little current and produce minimal heat.

Later Ed