Author Topic: Contessa shower fixture access  (Read 6279 times)

Ray Hoffman

Contessa shower fixture access
« on: March 23, 2014, 02:30:57 AM »
Does anyone know how you get access to the back of shower to change the diverter?  I have a 03 Contessa with two slides.  Is there an access port behind the mirrors, or microwave?  When we turn the shower on there is very little pressure because water is running out of the hot and cold handles.  Would appreciate any help I can get.  Thanks

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Contessa shower fixture access
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 05:46:36 AM »
I have a 2001 Contessa and have wondered about that also! Anxious to hear the response if you get one!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 02:00:29 PM »
Ray,

I'm not sure who made the valves you have but many allow the changing of washers, Orings, packing, valve cartridges from the shower side. I would not rule that out without finding out more about the design of the valve that was used. May help to post a picture. Many times the literature on the plumbing valves used was in a book with the coach.

Later Ed

George H. Wall

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 03:25:46 PM »
Ray, On my 2002 Patriot the fixture access IS behind the offset mirror in the bedroom.  HENRY

Ray Hoffman

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:21:44 PM »
My shower is right behind the microwave and stove top that are on the living room slide.  I cannot believe they would not make an access point to get to it, but I have been wrong before.  I don't want to tear everything apart until I have exhausted the knowledge base in the Beaver Community.  Thanks again.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:36:39 PM »
Ray,
Give Ken Carpenter at BCS a call. He probably knows.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 01:51:13 AM »
Ray !
 Ed is right in that the washers and or o-rings need replacing that are behind the faucet handles.  Need pictures.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Ray Hoffman

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 04:31:37 PM »
Finally pulled the cover plate off the shower fixture and found the plastic connect between the hot and cold valve was split.  Evidently, when the shower hose connector was screwed in it split or it froze and split.  I am going to try and glue another piece of plastic over the split and tighten it down with and echo clamp and see what happens.    Still need to find out how to replace the whole thing in-case the repair does not work.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 09:58:53 PM »
Ray-

If you can, look for the latest episode of This Old House Hour or Ask This Old House.  Rich Katheury shows how to repair malfunctioning valves in a lady's shower, with single handles like you indicate yours is.  It should broadcast everywhere tomorrow, Saturday.  Check your local listings for time.  Season 12, Episode 21.

Unlike Rich in his effort, I would have configured some contraption to hang down inside the wall to catch any dropped parts;  lose a part such as the valve seat in there, it's gone and back to the store you go, guessing as to the right part number.

Plus, once the faucets and escutcheons are off, I'd leave them off and the shower door open in a heated coach for several days to try and dry the inside of the wall as much as possible before closing that wall again.  If not dry, mold and rot may result from trapped moisture in an unventilated place.  It may help to remove the small vent/access plate in the shower kick wall below the door;  the more air under there and the longer the better.  With a flashlight you should be able to look in that port to monitor any apparent wetness.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:23:04 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Ray Hoffman

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »
Thanks for the advise.  My shower fixture has two knobs.  The quick fix I tried slowed the leak, but did not fix it.  Still in need of finding the access panel.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 01:26:18 AM »
My shower has a single control knob, as do the ones in my house, Ray, so I have difficulty visualizing precisely the "diverter" or connector between the valves you talked about here where you have separate faucets.  As Ed mentioned, it would be helpful to see photos, though if the connection is buried in there I suppose that isn't feasible.  Apparently you can at least reach it with your hands to do the glue and clamp job.

My valves all are accessed after removing the escutcheon, though, similarly to the Ask This Old House example.  My floorplan is similar to yours, and I suppose it is possible an access port exists behind the Microwave, which would have to be removed to find out, or ask first thing Monday at BCS as Steve advised.  1-800-382-2597

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Doug Neal

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 06:12:08 AM »
I am not sure exactly what part you need. If it is the plastic part that attaches to the shower head hose I found one at Orange-wood RV in Surprise, AZ. You are probably not in that area. I just mention it because they are available. They told me it was a common failure.