Author Topic: TV ceiling mount  (Read 7629 times)

Doug Allman

TV ceiling mount
« on: July 10, 2014, 12:40:10 PM »
Looking for a ceiling mount for TV to replace TV that is in cabinet in front of Windshield in 2004 Marquis.  Want to shorten existing cabinet and have TV mount and swing up and store near ceiling. Anyone have any info on a suitable mount for a 42" to 46" flat screen?

Edward Buker

Re: TV ceiling mount
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 01:08:10 PM »
Doug,

As I understand it, when the very heavily built optional ceiling mounts were added to Beaver coaches there were structure changes in the roof framing to accommodate the added loads. It is not clear if that necessary framing was built into later model years when framing the coach or only when the swing down tv option was selected. So it unclear if anything like this could be readily added later that would accommodate such a heavy load.

Time marches on and what was a very heavy glass faced plasma technology set that was being hung then can now be a relatively light thin bezel led set. So what was not possible in the past may be possible if a lighter built swing assembly could be had. The issue will still be the amount of rv frame torque that will be generated while swinging up an Led set and its holding structure from basically its top edge.

This would be a big modification job given it has to be designed and installed after the fact. Jim Sizemore up in Bend and some of the folks that do retrofits would be a good place to start the discussion.

Later Ed

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
Get in touch with these people as they are the ones that supplied the systems for the Monaco's and Beavers, Oh and get your big check book out as it's not cheap. The systems are top of the line and built very well.
http://www.liftmytv.com/products.html

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 04:36:45 PM »
Doug,
I installed a swing up mount in my 00 Marquis. I did the  work myself. It turned out nicely  but took a lot of time and effort. If you are not into wood working etc, consider having it done by a shop. Mine installation is at http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1387157866/
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 04:05:03 AM »
Hi Doug,
I have been considering upgrading the old 32" flat panel the front of our coach to a larger 42 to 50" unit as well but am investigating alternatives to mounting it from the ceiling as I do not like looking up at the TV. There are a variety of electric lift systems now on the market that are designed to hide the flat screens in cabinetry until required, at which point they rise up from within, or behind. You may have an appropriate space available to accommodate this at a much more natural viewing angle. I plan to research this option for our coach and have a possible suitable space behind the "computer desk" in our Patriot Thunder. It will block the lower portion of that window when raised but will disappear when lowered. The space above the drivers seat can then be reclaimed for DVD/CD/Book storage.  Just an alternative suggestion that maybe you hadn't thought of? This would avoid the structural issues and will eliminate the bandages required to patch our scalps when "head meets TV".
I replaced the old 20" CRT bedroom screen with a 32" flat screen by attaching the new LED TV to a frame with a piano hinge assembly that fits over the original opening for the old TV. The new TV covers the opening nicely and can be swung open to access the space behind as required and it looks pretty much factory when closed.
Dwight Wilson
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

neil omalley

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 05:10:05 AM »
Hi Dwight: i'm thinking of doing the same thing as you did re: the bedroom tv. Could you perhaps post a picture? Thanks.

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 02:47:04 AM »
I hope the pictures show up OK. I took the trim bezel off the cabinet to remove the old CRT cabinet. I then reinforced the cherry wood frame  to allow attaching the a flat surface wall mount for a new 32" new LED screen (LED screens are typically the least weight vs plasma or LCD screen). I then installed a piano hinge along the closet side of the mount and a standard cabinet close to the frame and inside edge of he frame so the new TV could also become the cabinet door. I wouldn't  recommend you over use the cabinet door function but we have since been over some pretty rough roads and it seem to be holding up and staying closed.  
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

neil omalley

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 07:26:41 AM »
Looks nice Dwight. I'm pretty sure I'm not talented enough to attempt this on my own but the idea is what I want. Thanks.