Author Topic: Motorhome Handling  (Read 10409 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Motorhome Handling
« on: August 13, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »
As you know I'm new to Class As, full of questions and easily confused.  I've driven the Patriot about 1000 miles and am pretty comfortable behind the wheel.  I've noticed that while in the right lane the coach seems to want to go off on to the right shoulder every once in a while.  My wonderful wife seems to think it may be my wandering mind, and I have to admit to having a minor case of "squirrel syndrome".  I digress...it doesn't seem to be a problem while in the middle lane and my thought is that it is the way the roads are made with a slant to drain the road causing the coach to get sucked into the right shoulder.  Is this a general problem in these beasts or "SHE" right?  Is there a mechanical issue that I have to pursue or just suck it up or stay in the middle.  Haven't driven in the left lane much so no idea if it does it there or not.  Thanks for your time and patience.  Have a great day.
Jerry
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:17:58 PM by 5 »
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Motorhome Handling
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 02:39:24 PM »
Jerry,

Normally, a motorhome is designed to pull a little to the left because of the crown of the road.  My experience is that on most road the pull is a little more often to the left not the right.  This may be just because of the setup for my coach.  The test would be on as newly paved road that is as flat as possible and take you hands off the wheel at a speed of 50-55 mph.  If it pulls to the right or left more than a gentle movement towards that direction, would be a concern enough to have it's alignment checked at Jo-Sam's in Orlando.

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:52:23 PM »
Jerry,

These vehicles are not cars and the slope of the road and wind can certainly have some affect. In general, if set up properly, they track quite well. You did not mention if your vehicle pulls to the right or not. Mine has a very slight pull when the road is sloped but I have rode the crown centered on a long straight away with no vehicle coming and it tracks true. When you say goes off the right shoulder every once in awhile that would say to me that it is not a case where you said I could not help going off the right shoulder due to a handling issue or at times I am fighting it to track my lane.

Not all of these motorhomes are aligned properly from the factory and wear and tear on both tires and suspension can play a role in tracking. You might start by getting a tire depth gauge and measuring the tread front and back on the inside and outside of the tread pattern and see if they are close to even and uniform in appearance. If the tires are not wearing evenly then alignment is suspect and that could affect tracking. If you want to put your mind at ease then have the coach driven and an alignment check done at a shop that specializes in aligning these chassis. There are good outfits in Oregon and Florida and a search here will reveal who they are and the coach owners experience.

These units are not cars and do not drive like one but they do handle and track quite well and if there is a constant pulling that requires compensation that is an issue. If it is an intermittent situation that is likely a normal road variation response that you need to pay attention and respond to. As the road slope shifts and changes, weight is shifted back and forth between the coach wheel positions and there is some affect on the tracking, which is normal. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »
Two-lane roads with one lane coming and one lane going are, I believe, crowned to persuade vehicles to lean right and run off the road to the right instead of leaning left and running head-on into the oncoming traffic.  The idea being a one vehicle accident off the right side is better than a possible head-on crash to the left.  It would seem logical that four lane roads would be crowned to persuade both lanes (on either side of the center of the four lanes) to be tilted to the right to also avoid crossing over into the oncoming lanes.  Also, I believe I was told years ago that alignment techs setup vehicles to slightly favor straight to right over left for the same reason - to avoid head on crashes.

All this being said, I have owned two VW vans in the late 60s and early 70s, a 35-foot Wanderlodge from the early 80s to current, and currently have a Chrysler T&C van.  The wind, and it takes very little crosswind, to make all these vehicles push either right or left towards the downwind side of the road.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Larry Williams

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:58:37 PM »
Jerry,

Two things.

1st, in some states, like Washington, it is illegal to drive a MH in the left lane of a muti-lane highway unless passing. So be careful doing that.

2nd, driving a MH is much different than a car or other small vehicle. There are deceptive blind spots that can distort your judgement. I have been driving a MH for 35 years and just recently viewed a driver's confidence tutorial video by BetterRVing on youtube that taught me a few new things. There is a whole series, but the one that was the biggest revelation was the blind spot video that shows you that you can easily misjudge where you are on the road, especially on curves. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBufJIjBfJU

There are other excellent videos in the series like teaching you to easily back into campground spaces and how to turn in city traffic.

Larry
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:13:03 PM by 21337 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
Jerry,
From your description, it does not sound like you have a problem to be concerned about. If you just occasionally drift over to the "drunk bumps" on the shoulder, it sounds like you are a more attentive driver than I am. My wife does not question the coach if I let the coach get on the "drunk bumps" on the shoulder, she yells at the sight seeing driver to watch the road.

Gerald  

neil omalley

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 07:58:17 PM »
Hi Jerry: I'm thinkin' highway hypnosis. Looking at the right lane stripe will cause one to head towards the right side. much as looking toward oncoming headlights will cause you to steer towards the lights.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 09:03:50 PM »
Thanks to all.  I think I'm just overthinking this because I'm still learning.  I am comfortable driving the MH.  I've tried the straight line run in the middle lane of 3+ and it seems to track true.  I never drive the left lane unless I'm setting up for a turn or passing so I haven't noticed it happening in thhat lane.  Tires are wearing even.  When it happens it almost seems like something is sucking me to the right.  It seems a little hard (for lack of a better word) to get it back into the lane.  I'm inclined to think, after reading your comments, that everything is fine.  Just me over analyzing!
Thanks again for the benefit of your experience.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 10:43:14 PM »
As I'm sure David and Larry have, I've driven the Columbia Gorge dozens of times, and in various vehicles.  The wind is a huge factor there.  The scenarios vary, from a constant following wind for hundreds of miles to ditto a headwind, to dead calm into sudden side gusts barreling down headlands next to the freeway.  It is a good testing ground for vehicle stability.  Towing my 8000+lb. boat was worst, being relatively more vulnerable to wind, but the old Pace Arrow was often no picnic.  The Beaver however seems quite the opposite to the Pace;  I often have a heck of a time feeling the effect of wind, and briefly blame side shift of the rig on some unknown mechanical fault, at least until I verify wind effect on roadside flora.

The combination of weight and a phenomenal compensational air suspension probably leads to my being so briefly deceived.  The Pace was like a cracker box going down the road, and reacted to wind easily, whereas the Beaver is like "what wind?"  Plus if the blow is from a shallow angle as opposed to 90 degrees, its effect on the coach body-to-chassis is even less perceptible.  Though not felt in your seat or wheel, it may still force the front end to guide one way or the other.

Usually occupying the copilot seat gives my wife the unique opportunity to fully experience the terror of my drifting to the right.  Unlike Glenda, she usually reacts vocally at least to some degree.  It used to be, "are you falling asleep?  Do you want me to drive?"   Since getting the Beaver it is, "is there a wind?" followed by us both trying to discern moving treetops or brush or grass roadside.

I guess my point is that if you've had tires and alignment checked, Jerry, don't be too quick to rule out wind, especially if symptoms only happen occasionally.  If that doesn't seem feasible, then take Ed's advice and have the coach checked by experts like Henderson's in southern Oregon, or other facility capable and reputable.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 12:59:01 AM »
Jerry,
One thing I will suggest you do is to follow your coach and make sure it is not dog tracking, i.e., you can see the coach fully on one side and not fully on the other side.  I had a problem with my '99 PT in that when the body was placed on the frame, it was not square.  After getting that problem solved, my '99PT tracked great, otherwise it always seemed to pull right and I had to constantly watch that I wouldn't drift right onto the shoulder.  When there a little left side down in the highway or the crosswind was from the right, I had no problems.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 05:49:53 AM »
We are having handeling problems as well.  Kaiser Brake and Alignment in Eugene jjust did a full alignment and found the castor set exactly the same on both sides.  That is wrong due to the crown in the road.  Both were at 4.25 and now the passanger side is set at 6.0.  While I have questions about this I must admit that it holds the road great at lower speeds and is much improved at higher speed.  They also adjusted the tag axle and the steering box.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 06:27:46 PM »
I believe that roads are crowned for drainage. I had a similar issue where my Contessa pulled to the right slightly also but I was able to drive on a two lane (in one direction) hwy (I40 thru CA and AZ) where the left lane drops to the left and the right lane drops to the right and my coach pulled slightly to the right when in the right lane and slightly to the left in the left lane. I then straddled the crown (drove on the white line for a short distance) and the coach drove straight as an arrow.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 07:51:51 PM »
Chuck,
I consider the pull that you mentioned to be normal handling, but if it bothers you, the only way to correct the slight pull that you referenced with road crown is to install a steering stabilizer with a trim unit. Do not waste your money installing a steering stabilizer unless it includes a trim unit, because it will not help with the handling issues that you are referring to. Without a trim unit, it only has a benefit incase of a tire blowout.

Gerald

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 09:47:51 PM »
Quote from: Gerald Farris
Chuck,
I consider the pull that you mentioned to be normal handling, but if it bothers you, the only way to correct the slight pull that you referenced with road crown is to install a steering stabilizer with a trim unit. Do not waste your money installing a steering stabilizer unless it includes a trim unit, because it will not help with the handling issues that you are referring to. Without a trim unit, it only has a benefit incase of a tire blowout.

Gerald

Thanks Gerald, but it isn't too bad...in fact the way I hold the wheel kind of offsets any pulling to the right.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold